New Moon Rituals
Last Updated: December 13, 2022
The New Moon is a wonderful time for manifestation spellwork rituals for witches and spiritual folks alike. It’s a time when the dark night sky is at its most powerful, and is an ideal moment for setting intentions. A manifestation spell harnesses the natural energy of this powerful phase to help you create your dream reality. By focusing on what you want to manifest in life, and believing that it will come true, you can use this magickal AF moon period to help you reach your goals: whether you are looking to manifest a new job, relationship, or creative project—or anything else that you desire—manifestation spellwork can help bring it into being, and the New Moon can aid in this.
New Moon Correspondences
The new moon is a time of new beginnings and fresh starts, often associated with the feminine energy of the moon. Some of the correspondences that might be relevant for a new moon ritual include:
- Incense: Frankincense, myrrh, sandalwood, rose
- Crystals: Moonstone, clear quartz, selenite, amethyst
- Deities: Artemis, Diana, Hecate, Selene
- Herbs: Mugwort, jasmine, lavender, chamomile
- Intentions: Setting new goals, starting new projects, letting go of old habits or patterns
- Types of magick: Divination, manifestation, transformation, purification
Remember, these are just suggestions and you can choose any correspondences that resonate with you and your intentions for the ritual. You can also incorporate other elements, such as candles, colors, and tarot cards, to enhance the energy and focus of the ritual. If you are not sure when the next new moon is, please use this free Moon Phase calendar.
How to Perform New Moon Rituals
Here are some steps you can follow to set up a new moon ritual, along with some tips on incorporating magickal correspondences:
- Choose a location for your ritual. This can be indoors or outdoors, but it should be a space where you feel comfortable and can focus on your intention.
- Set up your altar. Your altar is a sacred space that represents the elements and the directions, and it can be used to focus your intention and connect with the divine. You can include candles, crystals, herbs, incense, and other items that align with your intention and correspond with the new moon energy.
- Cleanse and purify your space. Before beginning your ritual, it’s important to cleanse and purify the space to remove any negative energy. You can do this by smudging with sage, using a bell or chime, or by simply visualizing a bright white light filling the space and purifying it.
- Cast your circle. A circle is a sacred space that protects and encloses your ritual, and it can be cast by walking around the space and visualizing a bright white or golden light forming a protective barrier. You can also use a wand, athame, or your finger to trace the circle.
- Invoke the elements. The elements are powerful forces that can be called upon to support and enhance your ritual, and they correspond with the directions, the seasons, and the stages of life. You can invoke the elements by lighting candles, placing crystals or herbs on your altar, or simply visualizing their energy and calling upon them to be present.
- Invoke the divine. You can invoke the divine by calling upon your chosen deity or deities, or by simply connecting with the universal energy that surrounds us. You can use incense, prayer, chanting, or other methods to honor and connect with the divine.
- State your intention. Once you have invoked the elements and the divine, it’s time to state your intention for the ritual. This should be a clear, concise statement of what you want to manifest or accomplish with your ritual. Focus on your intention.
- After setting your intention, you can focus on it by meditating and visualizing the outcome of your ritual. You can also use tarot cards, divination, or other methods to further explore the energy of your intention.
- Any magick or spellwork you wish to cast, now is the perfect time.
- Thank the elements and divine when you’re finished. Once ready, close your ritual.
Closing a New Moon ritual
To close a new moon ritual, you can use a closing chant or statement that feels meaningful to you. Some examples might include:
- “The ritual is ended, the energies are sealed. So mote it be.”
- “The circle is closed, the moon is set. Our work is done, and we are magickally met.”
- “The new moon has risen, and our intentions are set. May they manifest and bring us good luck and happiness.”
You can also use a physical action to symbolize the closing of the ritual, such as ringing a bell or blowing out a candle. It’s important to thank any deities, spirits, or other beings that you may have invoked during the ritual, and to release any remaining energy or intentions. This can be done through visualization, such as imagining the energy dissolving into the earth or dissipating into the air.
Remember, the closing of the ritual is just as important as the rest of the ritual, as it helps to ground and release any remaining energy. Take your time and ensure you feel fully present and focused before the ritual ends.
New Moon Ritual ideas
Manifestation takes action, especially with the New Moon. But if you are stuck for ideas? You can always try to:
- Rest, first and foremost, as not every moon phase needs spells. If you feel the compulsion that you have to perform rituals ALL THE TIME then you’ll be at risk of spiritual burn out. Ensure you are taking care of yourself babe!
- Lighting a candle and saying a New Moon prayer
- Creating a vision board of what you want to manifest
- Writing down your intentions and tying them up in a bag or box
- Conducting an ancestor ritual, connecting with those who have come before us.
- Do a wee bit of some soul searching by writing out your thoughts & feelings
- Journaling about how the new moon has affected you on an emotional level
- Use manifestation spellwork to work towards your goals
- Create a plan of action for upcoming witches holidays
- Do a tarot reading of your current situation
- Make an offering to the Moon and the Universe
- Ritual bathing with herbs or essential oils
- Meditate on your goals and dreams
- Engage in a guided visualization for healing, manifestation, and/or personal growth.
This is just a short list – you can absolutely come up with your own ideas or rituals to make this time special. However you decide to spend the New Moon, use it as an opportunity to reflect on how far you’ve come and what changes you want to make for the upcoming month. Have fun with it! Happy Manifesting and until next time!
I love curating divination experiences for those invested in spiritual growth with secular honest vibes. I am that witch you come to for these honest, interesting and beneficial divination experiences!