Freyja Tarot Spread - Connecting with the goddess
Last Updated: April 12, 2023
Freyja is a goddess who bridges the worlds of beauty, love, with battles, and war, known for her incredible magick and her ability to unlock secrets. She can help us connect with our inner strength and courage, understand the power of passion and desire, and manifest our magick into reality.
Freyja is deeply associated with spells involving love, fertility, and abundance. She is a goddess who can bring us success in life, and as a warrior goddess she aids us in fighting for what we believe in.
In this extensive article, we will discuss how to connect with Freyja using a tarot spread designed to help unlock empowerment and support. We’ll also explore how to use Freyja’s energy in your tarot practice, including ideas for special rituals, asteroid astrology, oils, herbs, and even drink.
Who is Freyja?
Freyja is a confident and powerful goddess in the Norse pantheon, known for her beauty, sensuality, and strength. She is the daughter of the sea god Njord and the goddess of the earth Skadi, and the sister of the god Freyr.
She is the wife of the god Od, who is said to have gone on a long journey and left her behind, causing her to weep tears of gold. She is known to have many lovers, both mortal and divine, and her sexual energy is a central aspect of her power. As a member of the Vanir, the elven-like gods associated with nature, fertility, and prosperity, Freyja embodies abundance, growth, and pleasure.
She is the ruler of Fólkvangr, the field where the souls of warriors who died bravely in battle go after death. She is closely associated with the Valkyries, the female spirits who serve Odin and are responsible for selecting the most courageous and heroic warriors who have died in battle to be taken to Valhalla or to Fólkvangr. In some sources, Freyja is even described as the leader of the Valkyries herself.
Her role as a goddess of war and her association with the afterlife of warriors who died in battle make her a natural counterpart to the Valkyries. Both Freyja and the Valkyries are associated with death and the battlefield, and both represent the fierce and courageous aspects of femininity, but she’s not exclusively a Goddess of Valkyries or the Leader of the Valkyries themselves.
Freyja’s companion animals are the cats and the boar, both of which are symbols of fertility and sensuality. She represents the balance between powerful forces; as a patron of witches who work with the Norse pantheon, Freyja offers empowerment, sensuality, and the courage to fight for what you believe in. She is a goddess of love, but also of righteous anger and fierce protection, and don’t we forget it.
Working with Freyja can help you tap into your own inner magickal power, embrace your sexuality, and find the strength to fight for what you want. Whether you are seeking love, prosperity, or protection, Freyja is a goddess who can help you manifest your desires and claim your place in the world with confidence and pride.
Is it Freya or is it Freyja?
Fun fact – they’re both correct. Freyja is sometimes spelled as Frejya, Freia, Frea or Freyia, and the anglicised spelling of Freya is also used, and comes later. The meaning of the name is “lady” or “mistress” and she is an important figure in Norse mythology, as well as being a popular goddess in modern Pagan beliefs.
She has also been referred to as Horn, Hǫrn, or Härn, which translates to linen or flax, supporting themes of abundance and wealth (flax is one of the ancient world’s most important crops), as well as themes of love and marriage due to bridal clothing being created from linen. She’s also associated with Gefn, which is Old Norse for “giver”, which feeds symbolism of abundance and wealth again, but also compassion and generosity.
Norse Goddess of Magick, Prophecy and Divination
Seiðr was a powerful and respected form of magick among the ancient Norse people, and it played an important role in their spiritual and cultural practices. Seiðr (also spelled seidhr, seidr, or seith) is a form of Norse shamanism or magick that was practiced by the ancient Norse people. It is a complex practice that involves divination, trance work, spirit communication, and various forms of magick.
The practitioners of Seiðr, known as seers, volvas or seidkonur (singular: seidkona), were typically women, although there were also male practitioners known as seiðmenn. They would enter into a trance state through various means, such as chanting, drumming, or the use of mind-altering substances, and then communicate with the spirits or gods to gain knowledge or perform magick.
Seiðr was used for a variety of purposes, including healing, protection and warding, love spells and fertility, and prophecy. It was also used in warfare, where it was believed to be able to influence the outcome of battles, with curses and binding documented by Snorri Sturluson for the all-father figure Odin (who was taught Seiðr by Freyja).
There are many different accounts of how Seiðr was practiced, and the exact details of the practice have been lost over time. However, it is known that it involved the use of various ritual tools and symbols, such as wands, staffs, and runes. It also involved the creation of sacred spaces, such as forms of protection, to ensure that the practitioner was not disturbed during their trance.
Freyja is one of the Norse goddesses considered to be a powerful practitioner of Seiðr.
In the Norse sagas, Freyja is said to have taught the god Odin the art of Seiðr. This association with Odin suggests that Seiðr was seen as a powerful and respected form of magick, worthy of being learned by even the most powerful of the Norse gods.
Freyja was also known for her ability to travel between the worlds, which was a key aspect of Seiðr. She’s said to have a chariot pulled by cats that she used to travel between the realms of the living and the dead, and to communicate with spirits and otherworldly beings.
Freyja was associated with the use of falcon feathers in Seiðr. According to some accounts, she would wear falcon feathers in her cloak while performing Seiðr, which would help her to achieve an altered state of consciousness and connect with the spiritual realm.
Her alignment with Seiðr underscores the importance of this practice in Norse culture, history and mythology, and highlights the role of women as powerful and respected practitioners of magic in ancient Norse society.
Why Connect with Freyja?
This goddess can help us tap into our inner strength, confidence, and beauty. As the goddess of love, Freyja can teach you how to love yourself unconditionally and to embrace your flaws and imperfections. She can help you cultivate healthy relationships with others, with yourself and show you how to express your love in meaningful ways.
As a goddess of war, Freyja can help you find the courage to face your fears and overcome any obstacles that come your way. She can teach you how to fight for your beliefs, and stand up for yourself and others.
As a goddess of magick, Freyja can help you tap into your intuitive and creative side. She can guide you in exploring different forms of magick, from spells and rituals to divination and meditation. Freyja can help you step into your power and embrace your true potential. She can show you how to be assertive and confident in your choices and to believe in yourself and your abilities.
So, my dear friend, if you’re feeling lost or unsure of yourself, know that Freyja is there for you. Take some time to connect with her through meditation, prayer, or ritual, and allow her energy to guide you on your path towards greater love, strength, and empowerment. Here’s a short suggested list of additional ways to connect with Freyja:
- Read her history, mythology and the Eddas
- Adopt cats or support a cat sanctuary
- Create art in honor of Freyja or create a shrine dedicated to her presence
- Engage in simple rituals such as an offering of mead, honey cakes or apples
- Take time for self-love, sensual pleasure and self-care
- Honor yourself by engaging in activities that make you feel beautiful
- Create jewelry in times of emotional turmoil
- Practice sex magick
- Practice divination, especially astral work, Elder Futhark runes and scrying
- Wear pinks and golds in honor of her
Freyja Asteroid Astrology
There are many ways to connect with this powerful goddess. One way is to find her in your birth natal chart, and see what is happening in current transits. Find her when pulling up your natal chart via “Extended Chart Selection” on Astro.com.
Freyja is asteroid number 76 “Freia” and was discovered in 1862 by Heinrich d’Arrest, found in the main asteroid belt and classed as a Cybele asteroid. She orbits the Sun every 2300 days, a 6.3 year orbit, and stays in a sign for approximately 190 days.
The position of the asteroid Freia in a birth chart can provide insights into an individual’s approach to love and relationships, including their desires, needs, and tendencies. Freia can provide insights into an individual’s creative potential, including their ability to generate new ideas and bring them to fruition. With her elements of war and magick, she can shed insight on how to assert ourselves, stand up for our beliefs, and how to use magick as a tool to do so.
Freyja is often seen as a symbol of feminine energy and power. This feminine energy may show in our chart how we express it in our life. This is why we witches love to look up their Freyja asteroid in their chart; to see where empowerment lies, to see where some of their magick is, to find a nature & cat loving feminine goddess energy!
I wanted to explore for you here what you can expect from finding her in your chart; as a goddess of magick and shapeshifting, Freyja’s abilities could potentially influence each zodiac sign in absolutely different ways. These are some possibilities based on the general characteristics and traits associated with each sign and then in each house:
- Aries: Freyja’s shapeshifting ability could influence Aries to embrace change and transformation. You may be inspired to try new things and take risks, just as Freyja changes her form and travels between worlds.
- Taurus: Her ability may encourage to embrace their sensual and physical side. You may be inspired to connect with your body and explore your desires and pleasures.
- Gemini: Her ability may inspire Gemini to embrace your curious and versatile nature. You may be drawn to explore different identities mindsets and adapt to new situations, just as Freyja transforms her appearance.
- Cancer: Freyja’s shape-shifting ability could influence Cancer to embrace their emotional depth and vulnerability. You may be inspired to explore different emotional states and to transform your emotional landscape.
- Leo: She may encourage you to embrace your creative expression and inner power. You may be inspired to explore different aspects of yourself and to transform your identity and persona in confident and creative ways.
- Virgo: She could influence you to embrace your analytical and adaptable nature. Virgo placements may be inspired to explore different methods and techniques, just as Freyja adapts her magickal practices to different situations.
- Libra: Her ability may encourage you to embrace your sense of balance and harmony. Libra placements may be inspired to explore different perspectives and to transform their relationships and partnerships.
- Scorpio: Freyja’s shape-shifting ability could influence you to embrace your intensity and transformative nature. Scorpio placements may be inspired to explore their inner depths and to transform their psyche.
- Sagittarius: This ability may encourage you to embrace your adventurous and free-spirited nature. You may be inspired to explore different cultures and belief systems, just as Freyja travels between worlds, and between battlefield and bedroom.
- Capricorn: Freyja’s ability could influence you to embrace your disciplined and hard-working nature. Capricorn may be inspired to transform your career and professional goals.
- Aquarius: She may encourage you to embrace your individuality and unconventional nature. Aquarius placements may be inspired to transform their social circles and to explore different ways of being that add passion to aid and causes.
- Pisces: Freyja’s shape-shifting ability could influence Pisces placements to embrace their imaginative and spiritual nature. You may be inspired to explore different dimensions, to work in different spiritual planes, and to transform your spiritual practices.
- First House: Embrace your true self and prioritize your needs with Freyja’s loving approach to relationships. You can feel inspired to confidently pursue your passions and interests while staying true to who you are.
- Second House: Allow Freyja’s approach to love and relationships to help you embrace your sensual side and cultivate a sense of abundance and material security. You can explore your desires and pleasures with confidence and ease.
- Third House: Prioritize meaningful communication and intellectual exchange with Freyja’s approach to relationships. You can feel inspired to express yourself creatively and have meaningful conversations with your loved ones.
- Fourth House: Cultivate emotional intimacy and a sense of home and belonging with Freyja’s approach to love and relationships. You can explore the depths of your emotions and strengthen your family connections.
- Fifth House: Let Freyja’s approach to love and relationships encourage you to embrace your creative expression and inner power. You can pursue romantic relationships with playfulness and joy, while exploring your passions and talents.
- Sixth House: Prioritize your physical and mental well-being in your relationships with Freyja’s approach. You can cultivate balance and routine in your daily life and pursue relationships that support your health and wellness.
- Seventh House: Cultivate balance, fairness, and mutual respect in your partnerships with Freyja’s approach to love and relationships. You can explore emotional and sexual intimacy and prioritize harmony in your relationships.
- Eighth House: Embrace your transformative nature and intensity with Freyja’s approach to love and relationships. You can explore your inner depths and pursue relationships that challenge you to grow and evolve.
- Ninth House: Prioritize adventure and exploration in your partnerships with Freyja’s approach. You can explore different cultures and belief systems and pursue relationships that expand your horizons.
- Tenth House: Prioritize your professional goals and aspirations in your relationships with Freyja’s approach. You can pursue relationships that support your career and ambition while staying true to your values.
- Eleventh House: Prioritize community and social connection in your partnerships with Freyja’s approach to love and relationships. You can explore different groups and networks and pursue relationships that align with your values and ideals.
Twelfth House: Cultivate spiritual and mystical connections in your partnerships with Freyja’s approach. You can explore different dimensions of consciousness and deepen your sense of compassion and empathy in your relationships.
So if I were reading for your Freyja energy in your chart, and it was in the third house and sign of Gemini, I would say that your approach to love and relationships could be based in finding ways to clearly communicate and share ideas that light up your passions, that you may be inspired to express yourself clearly (even with boundaries or sensitive subjects), find meaningful connections and grow through learning. You may be drawn to relationships that teach you something new and move your mind in new directions.
Using Freyja asteroid astrology to aid you in your life experiences can be beneficial when we are feeling like we need a little more loving balance and assertive insight. Taking the time to look at where Freyja is in your birth chart can help you understand how her energies may be influencing your approaches to love and relationships. By better understanding her energies, you can gain clarity on how to use them for the greatest good in your life.
All of these correspondences for Freyja can be a way to work with her energy, to honour her and for deity worship too.
Fridays, Beltane, and Midsummer or Summer Solstice or Litha. Fridays have always been associated in history with deities of love, and Beltane as a powerful time for love & sex magick. The Summer Solstice brings a passionate balance to the land that shows abundance at it’s peak, and so would be a great time to work with Freyja.
- First eight runes of elder futhark (aett): Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raidho, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo
- Rider Waite Smith tarot cards associated with Freyja: The Empress, The Lovers, The High Priestess, The Chariot, The Star
- Crystals and stones associated with Freyja: Amber, rose quartz, emerald, garnet, ruby, moonstone
- Colors associated with Freyja: Gold, pink, red, green
- Items you may associate with Freyja: Jewelry, feathers, seashells, perfume, mirrors, apples, cat hairs
- Herbs and oils associated with Freyja: Primrose, holly, mugwort, hemp, flax, lavender, rose, jasmine
- Food and drink offerings for Freyja: Mead, honey, strawberries, cherries, apples, sweet cakes, wine, and definitely not pork (due to her love of her boar Hildisvíni)
- Animals associated with Freyja: Falcons, cats, boars, horses, swans, rabbits, honeybees, butterflies, ladybugs
- Activities associated with Freyja: Kickboxing, sex magic, racing (go-karts or speedy cars), shamanic journeying, healing magick, horse riding, women’s adventures, love and fertility rituals.
Freyja Divination Oil
A divination oil is a great way to connect with Freyja and attune yourself to her energies. You can use them to anoint yourself, your deck, your candle, your spellwork, or whatever feels right to you.
It can help you connect with them when you are connecting to your magick, when you are building a life of love and empowerment, and to remind you that you can be both goddess of war and goddess of love. To make a Freyja divination oil, you will need:
- 2 drops Rose Essential Oil
- 3 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 3 drops Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
- 1 drop Lemon Essential Oil
- 1 drop Cedarwood Essential Oil
- 20ml Carrier Oil of choice (Avocado Oil or Jojoba may be the best options!)
- Small piece of Rose Quartz or Amethyst
- Wrap a small charm bracelet or choker necklace around the container
Freyja-themed drink: "All's fair"
As a unique way to connect with the energy of Freyja, why not try creating this gorgeous potion that sparks feelings of summer highs, cleansing energy and abundance. Try this “All’s Fair” beverage before, during or after your time with Freyja, and especially as an accompaniment to the tarot reading below.
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 6-8 lemons)
- 1/2 cup honey (or agave for a vegan alternative)
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup edible rose water
- 4 cups cold water
- Ice cubes
- In a large pitcher, mix together the freshly squeezed lemon juice and honey until the honey dissolves.
- Add the sliced strawberries and rose water to the pitcher and stir to combine.
- Pour in the cold water and mix well.
- Add ice cubes to the pitcher and give it a final stir.
- Serve chilled, with fresh strawberry leaves as a garnish, if desired.
- This recipe yields about 6 servings and if you want a sweeter lemonade, you can add more honey to taste. With the correspondences aligning with Freyja and what she would like, this can make the perfect offering, and also a fantastic creation for witch’s holidays or celebrations.
Freyja tarot spread layout & questions to ask
This tarot spread is designed to help you connect with the goddess Freyja, and to tap into the energy from either themselves as a deity, the asteroid energy or from the archetype personality. It can be used to find answers in how to love ourselves stronger, to find beauty in unexpected places, and to provide security to the future.
Freyja can show you that passion for love and for the battles you face can come from a place of strength, even when it doesn’t feel like it.
At the end of your spread, share your gratitude with this energy.
To begin, shuffle your tarot deck and draw a card for each position in the yearly tarot draw as shown in the below layout.
Place a Freyja card in the centre: (Queen of Wands/The High Priestess/The Empress/The Chariot/The Lovers).
Finally, take some time to reflect on the questions that each card position represents and what message the tarot cards in that position might be trying to tell you. If you’re just starting to learn tarot, or if you’re still getting to know your deck, you may find my in-depth articles on the meanings of every tarot card helpful.
*Any affiliate purchases through this program won’t impact you financially and we support these sellers in an unbiased way.*
Tarot card #1: How does Freyja want me to rest from my battles?
This card may look like an invitation to get some rest, but it can also be a message from Freyja to pause/take the time to appreciate yourself and your accomplishments as well. This may look like the Reversed Magician, which would suggest that taking the time to acknowledge your success is essential to aid in building your wisdom and magickal arsenal in the future.
Or it can show up looking like the Queen of Pentacles, which would suggest that Freyja is encouraging you to tap into the abundance of your own talents and resources, being a source of support to yourself in your next journey stage.
Tarot card #2: How does Freyja want me to lean into my passions?
This card might be telling you to go for it and pursue your passions without fear. Sometimes we just need that push, and Freyja is the perfect deity to support you with this. This could look like the Ace of Wands, which would suggest taking a risk to follow your dreams and your intuition as well.
Or it can look like the Five of Swords, which would suggest that Freyja is encouraging you to find the courage and strength within yourself to stay focused on what truly matters and to essentially “stay in your lane”.
Tarot card #3: Freyja, how can I discover more beauty in my actions?
This is my favourite card in the spread – how can we appreciate the everyday small actions, how can we remain present and focused when life is happening around us? This card may look like the King of Cups, which would suggest learning to remain calm and compassionate when faced with difficult decisions or feelings and focus on the joy your situation has brought you up til this point.
Or it may look like the Page of Wands, which would suggest taking chances and embracing opportunities that come your way even if they are outside of your comfort zone. You won’t grow if you don’t go, and you won’t know until you go, so get excited and get ready to explore.
Tarot card #4: How do I connect my self-love practice with my magick more for empowerment?
Self-love looks different to everyone, but what must not waiver is your commitment to yourself, meeting needs, and your growth as an individual. This could look like the Four of Swords, which would suggest that Freyja is asking you to take a moment for yourself, to be mindful and honest with your feelings.
Or it can appear as the Hanged Man card, which would suggest that Freyja is encouraging you to surrender your control and let go in order to discover more inner peace.
The additional two cards are not necessary if you're short on time, but either side of two and four can be for:
Optional card #5: Which strength should be my priority right now; inner peace, outer body, or mental?
This card could look like the Two of Cups, which would suggest that Freyja is asking you to focus on nurturing your inner peace in order to create a deeper connection with your higher self. Or it can appear as the Strength card, which would suggest that Freyja is encouraging you to embrace your inner strength and use it to move forward in life.
The Strength card can also suggest that mental fortitude is key when tackling any challenge, so keep that in mind as you go through this journey.
Optional card #6: What shifting changes will bring more security and stability?
This card could look like the Six of Pentacles, which would suggest that Freyja is asking you to focus on giving and receiving gracefully in order to create a more secure and stable foundation. Or it can appear as The Star card, which would suggest that Freyja is encouraging you to stay hopeful and keep your faith alive when making important changes in your life.
This card promises that the changes will bring you a brighter future, so trust in your journey and stay open to what comes next.
Try this 4-card Freyja tarot reading below
What to do after this Freyja tarot reading
These are just some of the possibilities that can come up when asking Freyja for guidance – always remember to take the time to listen and be still so that you can get her answers with clarity.
No matter what the cards show up looking like, always remember the power and guidance Freyja provides – she is loving and supportive, and she will guide you through this journey as long as you are willing to open yourself up to the possibility.
After you’ve finished a tarot reading, there are a few things you can do in order to reflect on the experience and integrate the insights you gained. Here are some suggestions:
Use a tarot journal to record your findings
Jotting down your thoughts in a tarot journal after reading can be helpful in a few ways. First, it can help you remember the details of your reading later on, such as how you felt at the moment and perhaps your first impressions of what a card meant.
Second, it can provide a space for you to process the information you’ve received and explore what it means for you. Third, it can be a way to keep track of your progress over time as you revisit your journal entries and reflect on your journey.
Take a picture of the cards
If you want to remember the position of the cards and what they meant in relation to your questions, take a picture of the spread. This will help you look back on the reading later and review the insights you received. Sometimes, clarity is better acquired after you’ve stepped back from the situation for a little while and had some time to process it.
Some people create Instagram accounts or Pinterest accounts specifically for this, and if you use any of our spreads please tag us @backyardbanshee if you feel comfortable!
Take some time to meditate and reflect
Immediately after a tarot reading, it’s important to take some time to sit with the insights you’ve received. This can be done through proper meditation, visualisation, or simply taking some time to reflect on the reading.
It can be helpful to think about what the messages from the cards mean for your life and how you can apply the advice that was given to you. That time can also be used to replenish your energy level and cleanse your tarot deck.
Get a second opinion from a close friend
If you have close friends who also happen to be tarot practitioners, it can be helpful to get their take on your reading. They may be able to offer additional insights or perspectives that you hadn’t considered before. This is also a good way to get feedback on your own interpretation of the cards.
Ensure to ask permission before just blindly sending your cards across in a message and saying “what does this mean to you?” as your friends may not have the energy or have a boundary with this sort of thing – manners cost nothing, and this is especially to note if they are a professional tarot reader who normally gets paid to interpret readings.
Layer your reading with more divination
Why not try adding astrology dice or a pendulum reading to your tarot session? Your intuition will guide you on how to best use these tools, but they can be helpful in providing more clarity around the messages from your tarot reading. We have lots of methods for you to utilise here on the website.
Do the same reading a month later
This is a great way to check in on your progress and see how far you’ve come. It can also be helpful in understanding the cyclical nature of our lives and how our current situation is likely to change over time. This can be especially useful if you’re struggling with a decision or trying to figure out which path to take as to offer suggestions, provide perspective and encourage your confidence to move forward.
At the end of the day, tarot readings are meant to be a helpful tool, not a replacement for your own intuition. The best way to use tarot is to combine the insights you receive with your own understanding of the situation. Trust your gut and follow your heart—the answers you’re looking for will come.
It is my hope that these tarot spreads on my website help you with clarity and articulate whatever is going on. Let me know what you think of this tarot spread in the comments below and if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me.
I have been passionate about reading divination for more than 15 years. This gives me a unique perspective when it comes to creating fun, supportive and creative tarot spreads. I hope they help you find the clarity and insight you are looking for.
More tarot spreads for you to try ✨
This page is part of our collection of free tarot spread layouts. If you enjoyed the read, then you’ll love the following articles.
In this article, I’ll share different tarot cards that are often associated with various deities from throughout mythology.
This tarot spread is designed to help you connect with the dark goddess Hekate. It can be used to find answers whilst going through a difficult time.
This tarot spread can help you when you need support with moral and value-based decisions in your life, as well as when you need to understand what is going on beneath the surface – the shadows that may be lurking.
Lilith is the perfect goddess for aiding in expression, for assisting in building an assertive and confident life, and for being the advocate for all authenticity and justice.
Discover the signs that Hekate is calling you and explore the various ways in which you can learn about and connect with the ancient goddess.