Mercury Retrograde Tarot Spread
Last Updated: April 11, 2022
“What the fuck, Mercury?” is pretty much what everyone is thinking during a Mercury Retrograde.
Mercury goes Retrograde 3-4 times each year and it’s notorious for causing all sorts of chaos in our lives. Tech fails (like the Big Facebook Blackout in October 2021), travel plans get canceled and people find they aren’t communicating as clearly as they normally would. Think along the lines of sending a serious typo to your boss!
- January 13th to February 5th 2022 (happening in the signs of Capricorn & Aquarius, so work and the way you think outside the box may be affected)
- May 9th to June 3rd 2022 (happening in the signs of Taurus and Gemini, so your mental health may need more comfort & security in this time)
- September 8th to October 3rd 2022 (happening in the signs of Virgo and Libra, so your travel routines may be out of balance/all over the place)
- December 21st to January 18th 2023 (happening in the signs of Capricorn, so watch what you say in the workplace)
- April 20th to May 16th 2023 (happening in the signs of Taurus, so research thoroughly when booking luxury hotel visits or vacations in this time)
- August 22nd to September 15th 2023 (happening in the signs of Virgo, so service delivery communications may need monitoring!)
- December 12th to January 2024 (happening in the signs of Capricorn & Sagittarius, so working from home is a great time to trial in this period)
Mercury retrograde tarot spread layout & questions to ask
This time, my 6-card Mercury retrograde tarot spread can help you make the most of it as I guide you through the madness (and the overhype… it’s not that big of a deal in my household). Seriously, here are some witchy tips on how I make the most out of this wacky time.
- Utilise Shungite & Obsidian crystals for tech protection.
- Sigil protects yourself when travelling, like a sigil drawn onto your phone wallpaper or the bottom of your shoes.
- Enjoy “throat chakra” and communication meditations in your downtime
- House protection spells are a great time to cast right now so top up that spell jar collection!
- Make sure you carry cash on you in case cards go missing & if things break have a small amount of cash spare/insurance in place (my microwave and my toaster have both bits the dust during retrogrades).
Mercury Retrograde is a pain in the ass but it’s also a great time to do some Tarot readings! So today I’m going to show you my favorite Mercury retrograde tarot spread.
Just remember: when Mercury goes into retrograde, the best thing to do is stay indoors and avoid all human contact. Like, stay in bed for the whole duration… shhhhh naturally, I’m joking! Just live your life as you normally would, but have an awareness of how things can change in life, how you adapt with grace & ease, and how your life unfolds with the planetary shifts too.
To begin, place The Magician in the centre. This card is linked with Mercury due to themes of control, Air and both relate to how you think, perceive, and process moving forward.
Then, shuffle your tarot deck and draw a card for each position in the tarot draw as shown in the below layout.
Finally, take some time to reflect on the questions that each card position represents and what message the tarot cards in that position might be trying to tell you. If you’re just starting to learn tarot, or if you’re still getting to know your deck, you may find my in-depth articles on the meanings of every tarot card helpful.
- What I will be able to have control over will be shown clearly, matter-of-a-fact, and will give your reassurance that within the melodrama of retrograde everything’s not lost.
- What should I just let go of for Retrograde is a warning to completely release control over, as this is an inevitable scenario for you, so put your energies elsewhere.
- What I really need to be mindful of for this period is to share opportunities for either healing or harm; you need to mentally have your wits about you for this, there are blessings in the lessons here.
- Advice for travel this period; take note whether this is a Yes or No card.
- Advice for communication and how I can be clearer; journal with this card to explore ways to communicate more concisely and with clarity so there’s no room for miscommunication and discomfort.
- Advice for technology and how it will impact me; take note whether this is a Yes or No card, or if it’s specific advice for travel plans (such as The Chariot Reversed might indicate a road trip won’t go as planned!).
- I’m sure this spread will give you some clear plans for the Mercury Retrograde ahead but more so it gives you an edge over those who don’t utilise tarot…
So maybe now is a good time to pull out the cards for a friend, to help reassure them too! Sending you all of my love xxx
Written by Lizzie B
I love curating divination experiences for those invested in spiritual growth with secular honest vibes. I am that witch you come to for these honest, interesting and beneficial divination experiences!