Pluto Retrograde Tarot Spread
Last Updated: October 26, 2022
Pluto Retrograde is not a time to freak out. No retrograde is. In fact, it’s more of an astrological timing to check in with yourself. When retrograde happens, especially Pluto, it’s a chance to transition into a happy healthier place in your life, by letting certain things go. This 8-card Pluto retrograde tarot spread will help you with balancing the energies of a subconscious focused time and how to handle situations that may impact addiction, mental health struggles and dark times.
Pluto retrograde tarot spread layout & questions to ask
The first card to put down in the reading is The Tower. This signifies chaos, destruction and upheaval. We can start with an expectation that things are not going to be calm or easy during this retrograde period. The Tower is letting us know that we will be experiencing times of intensity and chaos in our lives.
The second card to lay across the Tower is The Hermit. This suggests that we will be needing more time for introspection and reflection during this retrograde period. It’s important to take some time for yourself when it is a retrograde season, especially if you’re ending up feeling overwhelmed by the chaos of your version of The Tower in your life. This is a time to go within, reflect and find answers from within.
This is where we pull the rest of the cards to the top of the Pluto Retrograde tarot spread. If the first card shows a negative situation, it’s important to remember not to take things personally! We all have Plutonian energy within ourselves so this could just be where your Plutonian nature shines through (and you like being a badass!). If the second card is unclear, pull another on top too to clarify.
Place The Tower at the bottom, with the Hermit lay horizontally across it.
- What’s going to transform for me? This card will show you what you need to let go of during this retrograde in order for transformation to take place. There is no control here, no power to be in charge of what happens, but this card will bring you some awareness of the impact for you.
- What can I do to help myself during this process? This is us accepting that we can’t prevent the change that will happen. This card shows us what we can do to help as a foundation to continue support for ourselves.
- What’s remaining hidden this period? This card will shed some light on another area in your life that may be important as Pluto goes direct again.
- What should I seek assistance & support for? It’s always nice to see what will give you more of a boost. It’s always great to see what can be beneficial for you during all of these retrogrades, not just Pluto.
- This is what I want to focus on for myself; place a card here for your current goals and dreams that you want to achieve. Make it an “end game/final finish” card, such as The Chariot for a new job, or The World for more travel. Be as clear as you can.
- What’s your advice with this? This next card is going to demonstrate advice from the Universe/your guides/your deities that can help you with your goal or manifestation.
- How can Pluto Retrograde help me with this? This card will share with you the Plutonian energy that will support your goal or manifestation too.
- How can I reconstruct my darkness for the light during this period too? This card will show you a way to transform any negativity that clouds your mind during this time into a positive reaction. However, if you find yourself feeling specifically dark and unable to pull yourself out of it, please speak to a medical professional for further assistance.
The thing to remember about Pluto in retrograde is that it’s an opportunity to work on yourself, to enjoy the “self-help” books on yourself and to see how your journey develops further. Sometimes Plutonian things can be dark, and I need to reiterate/we need to remember that it’s okay to have these aspects in our lives. The retrograde is a time for us to confront them, understand them and work towards integrating the shadow self into our conscious lives.
If you’re feeling lost or struggling during Pluto Retrograde, don’t hesitate to reach out to a free charity that has support in your country, wherever you are based. I always recommend The Calmzone for this purpose.
What to do after this Pluto retrograde tarot reading
After you’ve finished a tarot reading, there are a few things you can do in order to reflect on the experience and integrate the insights you gained. Here are some suggestions:
Use a tarot journal to record your findings
Jotting down your thoughts in a tarot journal after reading can be helpful in a few ways. First, it can help you remember the details of your reading later on, such as how you felt at the moment and perhaps your first impressions of what a card meant. Second, it can provide a space for you to process the information you’ve received and explore what it means for you. Third, it can be a way to keep track of your progress over time as you revisit your journal entries and reflect on your journey.
Take a picture of the cards
If you want to remember the position of the cards and what they meant in relation to your questions, take a picture of the spread. This will help you look back on the reading later and review the insights you received. Sometimes, clarity is better acquired after you’ve stepped back from the situation for a little while and had some time to process it.
Some people create Instagram accounts or Pinterest accounts specifically for this, and if you use any of our spreads please tag us @backyardbanshee if you feel comfortable!
Take some time to meditate and reflect
Immediately after a tarot reading, it’s important to take some time to sit with the insights you’ve received. This can be done through proper meditation, visualisation, or simply taking some time to reflect on the reading. It can be helpful to think about what the messages from the cards mean for your life and how you can apply the advice that was given to you. That time can also be used to replenish your energy level and cleanse your tarot deck.
Get a second opinion from a close friend
If you have close friends who also happen to be tarot practitioners, it can be helpful to get their take on your reading. They may be able to offer additional insights or perspectives that you hadn’t considered before. This is also a good way to get feedback on your own interpretation of the cards.
Ensure to ask permission before just blindly sending your cards across in a message and saying “what does this mean to you?” as your friends may not have the energy or have a boundary with this sort of thing – manners cost nothing, and this is especially to note if they are a professional tarot reader who normally gets paid to interpret readings.
Layer your reading with more divination
Why not try adding astrology dice or a pendulum reading to your tarot session? Your intuition will guide you on how to best use these tools, but they can be helpful in providing more clarity around the messages from your tarot reading. We have lots of methods for you to utilise here on the website.
Do the same reading a month later
This is a great way to check in on your progress and see how far you’ve come. It can also be helpful in understanding the cyclical nature of our lives and how our current situation is likely to change over time. This can be especially useful if you’re struggling with a decision or trying to figure out which path to take as to offer suggestions, provide perspective and encourage your confidence to move forward.
At the end of the day, tarot readings are meant to be a helpful tool, not a replacement for your own intuition. The best way to use tarot is to combine the insights you receive with your own understanding of the situation. Trust your gut and follow your heart—the answers you’re looking for will come.
It is my hope that these tarot spreads on my website help you with clarity and articulate whatever is going on. Let me know what you think of this tarot spread in the comments below and if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me.
I have been passionate about reading divination for more than 15 years. This gives me a unique perspective when it comes to creating fun, supportive and creative tarot spreads. I hope they help you find the clarity and insight you are looking for.
Discover my very simple tarot deck interview spread that covers all the details we really need to know when working with a new tarot deck.
My daily tarot spread (3-card spread) will help you to get clear on the energy surrounding you today, what to focus on, and tips for added success.
For the year ahead, all Full Moons are now down here as a tarot spread for 2022; I have gone over every Full Moon for you and what each can bring for you.