Romance in The Cards: 78 Date Night Ideas From The Tarot
Last Updated: March 7, 2023
Date nights are an important part of any healthy and long-lasting relationship, as they provide an opportunity to reconnect, bond, and create new memories with your partner. It can even be an incredibly exciting way to get to know someone new, to change up the “meet at this bar” routine from your Tinder dates. Sometimes, it can be challenging to come up with fresh and exciting ideas for date nights that are also low-budget and accessible.
That’s where tarot cards can come in handy! The images and themes depicted on tarot cards can inspire unique date night ideas that are tailored to your personal interests and preferences.
Below are an overview of the cards keywords and date night inspiration, but don’t let it stop you from brainstorming together further! Whether you’re looking for a romantic evening at home or an adventurous outing, tarot can offer insight and guidance to make your date night special.
But beyond just being a fun tool for date night inspiration, tarot can also be a valuable tool for self-reflection and personal growth within a relationship. By exploring the themes and symbols depicted on the cards, you and your partner can gain new perspectives on your relationship and deepen your understanding of each other.
So, whether you’re a seasoned tarot reader or a curious beginner, incorporating tarot into your date night planning can add an exciting and meaningful dimension to your relationship. Give it a try and see where the cards take you!
Table of Contents
Date ideas based on the major arcana cards
- The Fool: Take a spontaneous adventure and do something you’ve never done before, such as skydiving, bungee jumping, or trying a new cuisine. Alternatively, you could attend a comedy show and let loose and have fun together, or even offer to walk your neighbours dog on a nature walk.
- The Magician: Have a magic-themed date night! You could learn some simple card tricks together, watch a magic show on TV or online, or even make your own magic potions or spells.
- The High Priestess: Plan a relaxing evening at home with a DIY spa night. Put on some soothing music, light candles, and give each other massages or facials. You could also read each other poetry or meditate together. Alternatively, book in a synastry astrology reading for you both, to see what excitement is ahead for you.
- The Empress: Go for a nature walk or have a picnic in a park. Bring a blanket, some snacks, and a book of poetry or nature writing to read together. Get out into a garden centre together, or a tree arboreum, and reconnect with nature.
- The Emperor: Have a board game night with games that involve strategy or conquest, such as Risk or Settlers of Catan. You could also watch a historical documentary or movie together.
- The Hierophant: Attend a religious service or visit a sacred place together, such as a cathedral or temple. Alternatively, you could read and discuss a book on spirituality or philosophy.
- The Lovers: Take a dance class together, such as salsa or tango. Or, if you prefer something more low-key but still unique, stay up late (or get up early) writing adoration letters to each other, to read at sunrise.
- The Chariot: Go for a bike ride or take a drive to explore a new part of your city or town. You could also visit a museum or art gallery and talk about your favorite exhibits.
- Strength: Plan a workout date, such as going for a hike or taking a yoga class together. Alternatively, you could watch an inspiring sports movie or documentary and discuss what you learned.
- The Hermit: Have a cozy night in with a puzzle or board game, or watch a movie that explores solitude or introspection. You could also journal together and share your thoughts and reflections.
- The Wheel of Fortune: Have a game night with games of chance, such as roulette or bingo. You could also take a chance on a new restaurant or cuisine that you’ve never tried before.
- Justice: Attend a debate or public lecture, or watch a documentary or movie that explores social justice issues. Alternatively, you could volunteer together for a local charity or cause.
- The Hanged Man: Try a new activity or hobby that challenges you, such as rock climbing or painting. Alternatively, you could watch a movie or read a book that explores alternative perspectives or ways of thinking.
- Death: Take a day trip to a cemetery or visit a historical site that explores mortality, such as a battlefield or memorial. Alternatively, you could deeply discuss what death means to you and how it affects your worldview.
- Temperance: Take a cooking or baking class together, or try making a new cocktail or mocktail recipe. You could also explore a new cuisine or restaurant and savor the flavors together.
- The Devil: Have a fun and indulgent date night, such as going to a carnival or amusement park, playing arcade games, or indulging in your favorite guilty pleasures. Don’t let being an adult restrict you!
- The Tower: Have a spontaneous adventure, such as taking a last-minute road trip or booking a spontaneous weekend getaway. Alternatively, you could watch a disaster movie or read a novel together that explores upheaval or transformation.
- The Star: Go stargazing or take a night hike to appreciate the beauty of the night sky. You could also attend a concert or performance by your favorite musician or artist, or go to a charity night supporting a cause that works tirelessly and creates such benefit to the community.
- The Moon: Take a ghost tour or explore a spooky location together. Alternatively, you could watch a horror movie or read a thriller novel and discuss your reactions.
- The Sun: Spend a day at the beach or lake and bask in the sunshine, play some beach games, and enjoy a picnic lunch together. Have a fun and playful date at a theme park, water park, or lakeside. Alternatively, you could attend an outdoor festival or concert together, and bring smoothies topped up with lots of vitamin D such as watermelon, mango and pineapple.
- Judgement: Attend a life-changing event such as a retreat or workshop to expand your horizons and explore yourselves more deeply and spiritually. Enjoy a live performance, such as a play, musical, or dance performance. Alternatively, you could visit a contemporary art museum or exhibit and discuss the themes and messages of the works on display.
- The World: Have an international-themed date night where you cook a dish from a different culture, watch a foreign film, or explore a cultural festival or event in your city. You could also plan a trip to explore the world together and create lasting memories.
Date ideas based on the minor arcana cards
Activities based on the suit of Wands
- Ace of Wands (New beginnings, creativity, inspiration): Take a walk or hike in nature and collect items such as leaves or stones to make a craft or art piece together. Alternatively, explore a local museum or gallery and seek out inspiration for your own creative projects.
- Two of Wands (Planning, partnerships, decisions): Have a planning session for a future trip, project or event, while enjoying a picnic or meal together. Alternatively, take a dance class or participate in a team-building activity that requires collaboration.
- Three of Wands (Expansion, growth, opportunity): Explore a new part of your city or town together and try out a new activity, such as a yoga class or attending a poetry reading. Alternatively, cook a meal from a new cuisine and learn about the culture behind it.
- Four of Wands (Celebration, harmony, community): Host a small gathering or potluck with friends and family, or attend a local festival or cultural event. Alternatively, decorate your home or a special space and have a romantic dinner or dance party for just the two of you.
- Five of Wands (Conflict, competition, challenges): Play a friendly game of mini-golf, laser tag, or board games together. Alternatively, practice a martial art or self-defense class and learn how to work together in challenging situations.
- Six of Wands (Victory, recognition, achievement): Celebrate a recent accomplishment, such as a work promotion or personal milestone, with a special dinner or outing. Alternatively, take a fun and challenging class or activity that you’ve been wanting to try.
- Seven of Wands (Defense, perseverance, courage): Participate in an outdoor adventure or sport, such as rock climbing, hiking, or kayaking. Alternatively, attend a motivational seminar or workshop and inspire each other to overcome obstacles and fears.
- Eight of Wands (Awakening, movement, progress): Take a road-trip to explore new places and learn about different cultures, or go to a music or dance festival to let loose and have fun. Alternatively, plan a quick weekend getaway or spontaneous road trip to a nearby location.
- Nine of Wands (Resilience, stamina, determination): Attend a workout class or gym session together and push each other to achieve new fitness goals. Alternatively, participate in a charity walk or run and support a cause that is important to you.
- Ten of Wands (Burden, responsibility, stress): Have a relaxing spa day or meditation session together to relieve stress and tension. Alternatively, practice decluttering and simplifying your home or space and create a peaceful and calming environment.
- Page of Wands (Enthusiasm, exploration, adventure): Take a day trip to a nearby city or town and explore its hidden gems, or attend a workshop or seminar on a new skill or hobby. Alternatively, take a dance or art class and explore your creativity together that your inner teen would adore – for me, it’s graffiti!
- Knight of Wands (Action, adventure, impulsiveness): Go on a spontaneous road trip or adventure and try out new activities, such as zip-lining or rock climbing. Alternatively, attend a music or comedy show and enjoy a night out on the town.
- Queen of Wands (Confidence, leadership, independence): Attend a networking or career event together and support each other in achieving your professional goals. Alternatively, plan a DIY home improvement project or gardening session and take pride in your accomplishments.
- King of Wands (Inspiring, visionary, leadership): Attend a motivational seminar or leadership conference together and learn how to inspire and support each other in achieving your goals. Alternatively, attend a cultural or spiritual event and learn about the power of visualization and manifestation.
Activities based on the suit of Swords
- Ace of Swords (Clarity, truth, mental clarity): Visit a museum or art gallery and discuss your favorite pieces or exhibits, or attend a lecture or talk on a topic that interests both of you. Alternatively, take a class or workshop that challenges your thinking and encourages mental clarity.
- Two of Swords (Indecision, choice, balance): Practice yoga or meditation together and focus on finding balance and inner peace. Alternatively, visit a local bookstore or library and choose a book to read together, or take turns reading passages and discussing your interpretations.
- Three of Swords (Heartbreak, pain, sorrow): Attend a group therapy or support session for a common issue, or participate in a volunteer activity that supports a cause that you both feel strongly about. Alternatively, create a ritual or ceremony to release any emotional pain or trauma and move forward together.
- Four of Swords (Rest, solitude, relaxation): Have a relaxing spa day or meditation session together to recharge and rejuvenate. Alternatively, take a nature walk or visit a botanical garden and enjoy the peaceful surroundings.
- Five of Swords (Conflict, betrayal, competition): Play a board game or card game together that involves strategy and competition, or attend a debate or political rally and engage in respectful discussion and dialogue. Alternatively, practice a martial art or self-defense class and learn how to work together in challenging situations.
- Six of Swords (Transition, travel, moving on): Take a day trip or weekend getaway to a nearby location and explore new surroundings, or attend a cultural event or performance and learn about a different way of life. Alternatively, plan a DIY home improvement project or move furniture around to create a new space.
- Seven of Swords (Deception, trickery, theft): Attend an escape room or puzzle game together and use your detective skills to solve a mystery, or go on a scavenger hunt and explore your surroundings. Alternatively, watch a psychological thriller or mystery movie and try to solve the plot together.
- Eight of Swords (Isolation, restriction, self-imposed limitations): Attend a personal development or self-improvement workshop together and learn how to break free from self-imposed limitations, or take a class or course on a new skill or hobby that challenges you both. Alternatively, practice a challenging yoga or fitness class and learn how to push through limitations.
- Nine of Swords (Anxiety, nightmares, worry): Attend a therapy or counseling session together and learn coping skills for managing anxiety and stress, or practice a guided meditation or visualization exercise to promote relaxation and calm. Alternatively, create a vision board or collage to visualize your goals and aspirations.
- Ten of Swords (Betrayal, endings, loss): Have a discussion or journaling session about grief or betrayals and how you can move forward together, or attend a grief support group or activity. Alternatively, plan a ceremony to finally release any negative emotions or patterns and start fresh independently so that your interdependence benefits.
- Page of Swords (Curiosity, mental agility, learning): Take a class or workshop on a topic that interests both of you, or attend a science museum or observatory and learn about the wonders of the universe, or on a new subject or hobby and expand your knowledge and skills together.
- Knight of Swords (Action, impulsiveness, speed): Participate in an adrenaline-pumping activity, such as bungee jumping or skydiving, or attend a live sports event and get caught up in the excitement and energy. Alternatively, take a walking tour of a historical or cultural landmark and learn about its significance and history, or attend a political rally or demonstration and take action on a cause that you are passionate about.
- Queen of Swords (Independence, logic, assertiveness): Attend a debate or public speaking event and learn how to express your opinions and ideas confidently and effectively, or find improv classes in your area to go to together to build your confidence. Alternatively, attend a self-defense class and learn how to protect yourself in any situation.
- King of Swords (Authority, decision-making, intellectual): Attend a leadership or management seminar or workshop and learn how to make informed and effective decisions. Alternatively, attend a political or social justice event and learn about the power of activism and advocacy.
Activities based on the suit of Cups
- Ace of Cups (Emotions, new beginnings, love): Create a vision board or set intentions for your relationship and future together. Alternatively, take a dance or movement class and express your feelings and emotions through movement.
- Two of Cups (Partnership, harmony, love): Attend a wine or beer tasting together and explore new flavors and varieties. Alternatively, take a cooking class and learn how to prepare a romantic meal together.
- Three of Cups (Celebration, joy, community): Attend a music or cultural festival and immerse yourselves in the joy and celebration of the event. Alternatively, have a potluck or dinner party with friends and loved ones and celebrate your relationships and connections.
- Four of Cups (Apathy, dissatisfaction, introspection): Take a silent walk or hike together and reflect on your feelings and emotions without distractions. Alternatively, attend a meditation or mindfulness class and focus on being present in the moment.
- Five of Cups (Loss, disappointment, regret): Have a “comfort food” night and make or order your favorite nostalgic and comforting meals. Alternatively, attend a support group or therapy session and share your experiences and feelings with others who have gone through similar situations.
- Six of Cups (Nostalgia, memories, childhood): Visit a local museum or art gallery and explore exhibits that remind you of your childhood or past memories. Alternatively, take a creative workshop or class and learn how to express your nostalgia and memories through art or writing.
- Seven of Cups (Fantasy, illusions, choices): Play a game of “Would You Rather?” and explore your fantasies and dreams with each other. Alternatively, attend a tarot or psychic reading and explore the illusions and possibilities of the future.
- Eight of Cups (Disillusionment, moving on, letting go): Take a day trip to a nearby nature or scenic spot and focus on letting go of past disappointments and embracing new beginnings. Alternatively, attend a yoga or meditation class that focuses on releasing negative emotions and attachments.
- Nine of Cups (Satisfaction, happiness, fulfillment): Have a DIY night and make or create something that brings you both joy and satisfaction. Alternatively, attend a gratitude or mindfulness workshop and focus on appreciating and savoring the present moment.
- Ten of Cups (Harmony, family, community): Attend a community event or volunteer together at a local charity or organization. Alternatively, have a family game or movie night and enjoy quality time with loved ones.
- Page of Cups (Creativity, intuition, sensitivity): Attend a creative writing or poetry workshop and explore your intuition and sensitivity through words and language. Alternatively, have an arts and crafts night and create something that expresses your creativity and sensitivity.
- Knight of Cups (Romance, chivalry, emotional maturity): Have a romantic picnic or dinner date and focus on chivalry and emotional connection. Alternatively, attend a dance or music performance and let the emotions and romance of the experience envelop you.
- Queen of Cups (Compassion, emotional intelligence, empathy): Attend a meditation or mindfulness class that focuses on developing compassion and empathy. Alternatively, have a self-care night and treat yourselves to a relaxing spa or massage session.
- King of Cups (Emotional stability, leadership, wisdom): Attend a leadership or personal development seminar or workshop that focuses on emotional intelligence and wisdom. Alternatively, attend a lecture or discussion on a topic that you are both passionate about and discuss your insights and opinions.
Activities based on the suit of Pentacles
- Ace of Pentacles (New beginnings, prosperity, manifestation): Plant a garden or create a small herb garden together, focusing on new beginnings and abundance. Alternatively, take a financial planning or investing class together and focus on manifesting abundance and prosperity in your future.
- Two of Pentacles (Balance, adaptability, multitasking): Attend a circus or acrobatics show and marvel at the performers’ ability to balance and adapt to new situations. Alternatively, have a game night and play games that require multitasking and coordination.
- Three of Pentacles (Collaboration, teamwork, skill development): Attend a DIY or home improvement workshop and collaborate on a project that enhances your home environment. Alternatively, take a cooking class and focus on teamwork and collaboration in the kitchen.
- Four of Pentacles (Stability, security, possession): Attend a thrift or consignment store and find treasures that are meaningful to you both, focusing on the concept of possession and security. Alternatively, have a cozy night in and focus on creating a stable and secure environment in your home.
- Five of Pentacles (Hardship, poverty, isolation): Volunteer at a local shelter or soup kitchen and give back to those who are experiencing hardship or poverty. Alternatively, have a simple meal together and reflect on the importance of gratitude and compassion.
- Six of Pentacles (Charity, generosity, sharing): Attend a fundraising event or donate to a charity that you both care about, focusing on the importance of generosity and sharing. Alternatively, have a potluck or dinner party and share your favorite recipes and food with each other.
- Seven of Pentacles (Patience, perseverance, long-term vision): Attend a gardening or horticulture class and focus on the patience and perseverance required for long-term growth and vision. Alternatively, attend a financial planning or investment seminar and focus on long-term goals and vision.
- Eight of Pentacles (Skill development, apprenticeship, hard work): Take a class or workshop that focuses on skill development or apprenticeship, such as woodworking or pottery. Alternatively, attend a fitness or martial arts class and focus on the hard work and discipline required for mastery.
- Nine of Pentacles (Independence, luxury, self-sufficiency): Have a “spa night” together and focus on self-care and luxury, embracing your independence and self-sufficiency. Alternatively, have a simple picnic in a luxurious setting, such as a botanical garden or scenic park.
- Ten of Pentacles (Legacy, family, tradition): Attend a family gathering or reunion and celebrate your legacy and family traditions. Alternatively, have a cozy night in and share stories and memories of your family and loved ones.
- Page of Pentacles (Curiosity, exploration, new ideas): Attend a museum or exhibit and explore new ideas and perspectives together. Alternatively, take a nature walk and focus on exploring and discovering new things in your environment.
- Knight of Pentacles (Responsibility, reliability, perseverance): Attend a horseback riding or ranch experience and focus on the responsibility and reliability required to care for and persevere with animals. Alternatively, have a movie night and watch a film that highlights responsibility and perseverance.
- Queen of Pentacles (Nurturing, abundance, practicality): Attend a gardening or cooking class and focus on nurturing and abundance through practical skills. Alternatively, have a home-cooked meal together and embrace the nurturing and abundant energy of the environment.
- King of Pentacles (Leadership, stability, success): Attend a business or entrepreneurship seminar and focus on the leadership, stability, and success required for achieving your goals. Alternatively, attend a financial planning or investment seminar and focus on building stability and success.
So, next time you’re looking for ideas to spice up your date night, why not turn to the tarot for some inspiration? Don’t forget to check out our other relationship-themed tarot content, such as the tarot spreads and the very fun sensual tips from the Major Arcana too! Until next time, warmest wishes always, Lizzie xxx
I have been reading Tarot for more than 15 years. I have always enjoyed using my intuition to provide clarity and insights to others. Tarot is one of my favorite forms of divination, and I love sharing that passion with like-minded folks.
There are hot discussions right now about Soulmates and Twin Flames… I’ve created this tarot spread to help you get answers and clarity.