Grounding; A Complete Introductory Guide - Witchcraft Basics
Last Updated: July 25, 2023
When it comes to modern witchcraft basics, you’ll open any book or read the start of any spell and you’ll come across the word “grounding”. Grounding is an incredibly important part of your practice, and is essential for most magickal successes, yet there isn’t too many in depth explanations as to what the hell it is. Grounding is generally the process of connecting with the energy around you, as well as understanding and accepting your place in the world. It’s a means of taking strength and stability from the environment around you to move forward on your path in whatever direction you need.
Grounding yourself can be beneficial to spellwork, to mental wellbeing, to physical well-being, and to simply living life in the present moment. When we ground ourselves, we become aware of our environment in the present moment and can draw from its energy to reach a place of balance. It’s an act of self-care that will help keep you centered, and steady, as you connect with your own magickal power.
This blog post is to cover most of usual questions I get, as well as answer some you might not have thought of for yourself! My aim here is to help provide you with a resource that you’ll use in more than just your magickal practice, but your day to day one too.
What Does Grounding Yourself Mean?
In modern witchcraft, grounding yourself refers to the practice of establishing a connection with the Earth and the present moment to balance and stabilize your energy. It involves drawing upon the natural energies of the environment around you to enhance your spiritual connection, mental clarity, and emotional well-being. By grounding, we witches can create a strong foundation for our magickal workings, and maintain a sense of rootedness in the physical realm while working with subtle energies.
When it comes to spellwork and rituals, grounding plays a crucial role. This is why you always see it referenced in books. Before starting a ritual, witches ground their energy to establish a solid connection with the Earth’s energy. This process helps them become present and centered, allowing them to focus intentions and channel energy effectively. By grounding, witches are able to establish a stable and balanced state of being, ensuring that their energy flows harmoniously during the ritual.
During spellwork, witches often tap into various energies, both within themselves and from external sources, to manifest their intentions. Grounding allows us to release any excess energy or emotional residue that may have accumulated during the ritual. It acts as a safety valve, ensuring that any unbalanced or stagnant energy is released back into the Earth, promoting a sense of energetic equilibrium.
After the completion of a ritual or spell, grounding is equally important. It helps us witches return to a state of normalcy and integrate the energy shifts that may have occurred during the magickal working. Grounding after a ritual enables witches to release any residual energy that is no longer needed, restoring their connection with the physical world and promoting a sense of stability and well-being.
Grounding is a means for witches to maintain a healthy energetic boundary. It allows us to remain connected to the natural world while navigating the mystical realms, ensuring we do not become overwhelmed or scattered by the vast energies we encounter. By grounding regularly, witches can prevent energetic burnout and maintain a balanced and sustainable magical practice.
Grounding yourself means that it is not just a one-time thing: it needs regular maintenance as well as practice. This is because the energy around us constantly shifts, and so does our own energetic bodies. Taking a few minutes to ground yourself each day will help keep your energy balanced and ward off any negative energies that might be hovering around you.
It can also be used as a preventative measure against anxiety or depression. By becoming more aware of your present environment and connected to the Earth, you can better cope with stressors and emotional triggers. Grounding yourself is a way to keep your mind and body in balance, helping you manage your energy levels throughout the day.
This is why grounding is an essential practical for witches (and non-witches) everywhere.
Grounded Earth Energy
We have heard about “earthing” or “using the earth for grounding” but it’s not always described in detail what the bloody hell that is.
Grounded earth energy and “earthing” refer to the practice of connecting with the nurturing and stabilizing energy of the Earth. When we speak of releasing excess energy back into the Earth, it means returning any surplus or unneeded energy that we may have accumulated during our spiritual practices or daily lives. To do this, find a quiet spot in nature, take a moment to center yourself, and imagine roots extending from your body into the Earth. Breathe out, visualizing the excess energy flowing down through these roots and merging with the Earth’s energy, allowing it to be transformed and harmonized. Express gratitude for the Earth’s support and feel a renewed sense of balance and connection.
This gentle practice of doing it barefoot nurtures your well-being and strengthens your bond with the natural world, reminding you that you are an integral part of the beautiful tapestry of life. Laying on the ground, gardening, wild swimming and generally playing in the dirt are all fantastic ways to earth yourself for grounding purposes.
How To Be Grounded
When a person feels grounded, it means they have a strong connection to the present moment and a sense of stability, balance, and rootedness. I want to discuss some small signs that indicate someone is grounded:
- A grounded person is fully present in the here and now. You’d be engaged in your surroundings, attentive to your own thoughts and feelings, and connected with the present experience.
- Grounded folks have a sense of emotional equilibrium. You can usually navigate life’s ups and downs with resilience and calmness, without being easily overwhelmed by emotions.
- Groundedness often brings mental clarity. You feel focused, able to make decisions with clarity, and have a clear perspective on situations without being overly influenced by distractions or anxieties.
- Grounding is also reflected in your physical state. You may feel more centered in your body, having a sense of stability and physical presence. You are aware of bodily sensations and connected to your physical environment.
If you were the above, I’d say you were being grounded in the moment. To maintain grounded energy, consider trying the following practices:
- Nature Connection: Spending time in nature regularly, whether it’s walking in a park, sitting under a tree, or taking a hike/big walk. Engaging with the natural world helps to ground your energy and establish a deeper connection with the Earth’s energy.
- Grounding Exercises: Incorporate grounding exercises into your routine. These can include visualization techniques, such as imagining roots extending from your body into the Earth (something that will come up in a lot of witchcraft books you’ll research), or physically connecting with the Earth by walking barefoot on grass or soil.
- Mindfulness and Meditation: Practice mindfulness and meditation to cultivate present-moment awareness. These practices help to calm the mind, increase self-awareness, and promote a sense of grounding and inner peace.
- Physical Activities: Engage in physical activities that promote body awareness and grounding, such as yoga, tai chi, or grounding exercises like standing firmly on both feet and feeling the connection with the ground beneath you.
- Self-Care: Take care of your physical, emotional, and mental well-being. Prioritize activities that nourish you, whether it’s practicing self-care routines, engaging in hobbies, or spending time with loved ones.
- Energetic Boundaries: Pay attention to your energetic boundaries and practice setting healthy boundaries with others. This helps maintain a sense of self and prevents energy drain or being influenced by external factors.
Maintaining grounded energy is an ongoing practice. It does require self-awareness, regular self-care, and intentional efforts to stay connected with the present moment and the grounding forces of nature. With time and dedication, you can cultivate and sustain a grounded state that supports your overall well-being and spiritual growth. It doesn’t have to be rocket science to be magick.
Grounded Strategies & Grounding Techniques
Ways to Center Yourself
Centering yourself is a valuable practice with grounding that helps bring focus, calmness, and balance to your being. Here’s a simple and supportive method to center yourself:
- Find a quiet and comfortable space where you can sit or stand without distractions. Close your eyes if it feels comfortable for you, or you can keep a soft gaze.
- Begin by taking a few slow, deep breaths, allowing the breath to flow naturally. Feel the air entering your body, filling your lungs, and then gently exhale, releasing any tension or worries.
- Next, bring your awareness to your physical body. Feel the weight of your body on the surface you’re resting on. Notice any sensations, tensions, or areas of comfort. Simply observe without judgment.
- Now, imagine a golden or warm, radiant light at the center of your being, your core. This light represents your essence, your inner self. Visualize it expanding gently, enveloping your entire being with its soothing presence.
- As you focus on this inner light, let go of any external thoughts or distractions. Allow yourself to be fully present in this moment, embracing a sense of calm and inner peace.
- If your mind starts to wander, gently guide your attention back to your breath or the image of the radiant light within you. You can also repeat a calming mantra or affirmation silently to yourself, such as “I am centered and at peace.”
- Continue to breathe deeply and connect with your inner light for as long as feels comfortable and necessary. When you’re ready, slowly open your eyes and take a moment to feel the groundedness and centeredness you have cultivated.
You can customize centering to suit your needs, time and energy. Feel free to change it up or modify it according to what resonates with you. As with all regular practice, you will develop a deeper sense of self-awareness and find it easier to come back to your center even amidst life’s challenges.
Ways to Ground Yourself
Look, you’ve probably come to me here at backyardbanshee.com because you wish for something a little bit different than “try earthing” or “visualize your grounded energy to be the energy itself” etc. So let me give you (our favourite) a small list of suggested methods that are beneficial witch tips and ways to ground yourself:
- Crystal Grounding Grid: Create a grounding grid with crystals like hematite, smoky quartz, and black tourmaline. Arrange them in a pattern that resonates with you, placing them around your sacred space or under your meditation spot.
- Herbal Bath Ritual: Prepare a soothing herbal bath using grounding herbs like lavender, sage, or rosemary. As you bathe, visualize the water enveloping you with calming and grounding energy.
- Tree Meditation: Connect with the wisdom of trees by sitting or standing near a sturdy tree. Close your eyes, feel the tree’s energy, and imagine your roots entwining with theirs, exchanging grounding strength.
- Elemental Meditation: In your meditation practice, focus on one of the elements (earth, water, air, or fire) and embody its grounding qualities. Feel the stability of earth, the flow of water, the clarity of air, or the transformative power of fire.
- Incense Cleansing: Use grounding incense like frankincense, myrrh, or cedarwood to cleanse your space and yourself. As the smoke rises, visualize it carrying away any unneeded energy.
- Grounding Dance: Put on some rhythmic music and dance freely, allowing your body to connect with the Earth’s energy through movement. Feel the energy flowing through you and releasing any tensions.
- Earth Mandala Creation: Gather natural materials like leaves, stones, flowers, and arrange them in a mandala pattern outdoors. This meditative act connects you with the Earth’s beauty and grounds your energy.
- Kitchen Witchcraft: Engage in cooking or baking with intention and mindfulness. As you prepare and handle ingredients, visualize yourself absorbing the grounding properties of the food you’re making.
- Moon Bathing: On a clear night, bask in the gentle glow of the moon. Absorb its calming energy, feeling it grounding you as you connect with the lunar cycles.
- Grounding Talisman: Craft a personal grounding talisman using symbols or materials that represent stability and grounding. Carry it with you or place it on your altar to amplify the grounding energy.
It’s definitely a versatile practice, and there’s no one-size-fits-all approach but I hope this gives you a little inspiration. Embrace unique ways and let your intuition guide you to discover what resonates most with your heart and spirit. Each of these practices will nourish your soul, and help to foster a deeper connection with the Earth’s loving embrace.
How To Ground Your Bed
Grounding your bed is a compassionate practice that honors your current circumstances. There’s no pressure to perform grand rituals. It’s about embracing simplicity and finding comfort in the gentle energy of your bed. Allow this space to become a loving refuge where you can reset, recharge, and feel the Earth’s embrace, right in the heart of your own home. Trust that this practice will nurture your soul, and know that the Earth’s energy is always ready to support you, no matter where you are.
If possible, let sunlight or moonlight touch your bed during the day or night. These celestial energies can enhance the grounding experience and fill your space with gentle healing light. A great reason to open your curtains if you can.
Instead of elaborate rituals, practice mindfulness. There’s always too much pressure to “go big for your practice”. Spend a few moments each day connecting with your bed as your grounding space. Close your eyes, place your hands on your heart, and silently express gratitude for this safe haven. Embrace the power of your breath too; as you lie down, take slow, deep breaths, envisioning each inhale as drawing in soothing Earth energy and each exhale as releasing any tensions or fatigue. Let the gentle rhythm of your breath anchor you to the present moment.
Placing grounding crystals like hematite, black tourmaline, or red jasper near your bedside can be multipurpose too. You can also have a small dish with a bit of soil, a leaf, or a pebble as a reminder of nature’s connection. Or… a plant! Snake plants are my favorite, because they don’t need so much attention, can last for years, and release oxygen at night 🙂
How To Ground Yourself Indoors
For witches seeking to ground their energy indoors or when they can’t get outside, there are still plenty of gentle and accessible options. One effective method is through visualization. Find a quiet space where you can sit comfortably, and close your eyes. Envision roots extending from your body, reaching deep into the Earth. Feel these roots anchoring you to the Earth’s core, drawing in nurturing energy as you inhale and releasing any excess or stagnant energy as you exhale. This practice can be done from the comfort of your own home and provides a powerful connection to the Earth’s grounding force.
For those facing chronic pain or illnesses impacting their energy, but still wanting a modified approach, maybe this can be beneficial? Try a breath-focused grounding exercise (like what I’ve suggested above). While lying in bed or sitting in a cozy chair, focus on your breath. Inhale deeply, imagine a warm, comforting light filling your body, and exhale slowly, releasing any tension or discomfort. As you breathe out, visualize that energy being gently absorbed by the Earth below. This method is gentle on the body and can be adapted to suit your physical needs.
Additionally, creating a sacred space indoors can help foster a grounding environment. Decorate your space with elements of nature, like plants, crystals, or artwork depicting landscapes. Surround yourself with comforting scents like sandalwood or lavender to enhance the experience. When you’re in your sacred space, take a moment to center yourself, acknowledging that this place serves as your grounding haven. Regardless of your circumstances, remember that grounding is a personal practice, and the Earth’s energy is always accessible to you, wherever you may be. Trust in the strength and support that comes from connecting with the Earth within the comfort of your home.
How To Stay Grounded
Staying grounded is, in essence, just practicing grounding regularly – just like drinking lots of fluids to stay hydrated. Embrace regular grounding practices to anchor yourself in the present moment and strengthen your connection with the Earth. Find a technique that resonates with you (as they all won’t) such as visualization, meditation, gardening, playing with crystals or nature walks, and incorporate it into your daily routine. Grounding is a personal and adaptable practice, so explore what works best for you and allow it to become an integral part of your magical journey.
Ways to Stay Grounded
- Nature Connection: Spend time in nature regularly to connect with the Earth’s grounding energy. Walk barefoot on grass or soil, hug a tree (or give the bark a stroke like I do), or just simply sit and observe the natural world around you. Nature has a profound ability to soothe the spirit and replenish your energy if you’re willing to look.
- Crystal Companions: Utilize grounding crystals like black tourmaline, smoky quartz, or hematite to support your energetic balance. Carry these crystals with you or keep them in your sacred space to absorb excess energy and promote stability. I love a bit of shunghite on my desk near the computer, for example.
- Grounding Rituals: Create your own grounding rituals before and after spellwork or any intense spiritual practice. Incorporate breathing, visualization, or even a simple moment of intention-setting to bring yourself back to the present and release any unnecessary energies.
- Physical Activities: Engage in physical activities that root you in your body and the present moment. Yoga, dancing, gardening, or even mindful cooking can help channel your energy and stay grounded.
- Energetic Boundaries: Practice setting healthy energetic boundaries to protect your energy from external influences. Regularly cleanse your aura with smudging, salt baths, or other cleansing methods to release any accumulated energy that no longer serves you.
Staying grounded is not a one-time task; it’s an ongoing practice that supports your overall well-being as a modern witch. Enjoy methods with love and openness, knowing that staying grounded is a compassionate way to nourish your spirit and maintain a harmonious connection with the Earth’s beautiful energies. Trust in your ability to stay grounded, and honor the journey you are on as you weave magic and intention into your daily life.
Signs You've Grounded Well
When you’ve grounded your energy well before spellwork, you’ll notice a profound sense of inner calm and centeredness. Your thoughts will feel clear and focused, and your intentions will align with your higher self. During spellcasting, you’ll experience a smooth flow of energy, effortlessly channeling it into your workings. Your connection to the Earth will feel strong, like roots firmly planted in the ground, providing stability and support for your magical endeavors. Afterward, you’ll likely feel refreshed, balanced, and emotionally stable, having released any excess energy and fully integrated the experience into your being. I know I’ve grounded well when I feel like I can instantly get on with another task, and that I’m not knackered or too tired to crack on. Trust in these signs witch, as they affirm your successful grounding practice and the beautiful synergy between your magickal af essence and the Earth’s loving embrace.
How To Get Ungrounded
Ok, I know this is a weird one… but sometimes we don’t want a Taurus nap. Sometimes, we want a Sagittarius adventure.
A great way for witches to unground themselves is through activities that promote a sense of expansiveness and freedom. Engaging in light, uplifting movement like dancing or stretching can help release any excess grounding energy. Visualizations that involve floating or soaring like a bird can also aid in ungrounding. Getting outside when the weather is stormy. Listening to loud upbeat music in the car and singing along chaotically. Working with crystals that have higher vibrational properties, such as clear quartz or selenite, can gently lift your energy, or you can go balls to the wall with tektites like moldavite.
The benefit of ungrounding lies in embracing a more elevated and open state of being. While grounding is crucial for stability and focus, ungrounding allows for increased intuition, creativity, and connection to higher realms. It can open the door to exploring different dimensions of magick, spirituality, and consciousness. Ungrounding, when done intentionally and mindfully, can lead to a beautiful balance where you can draw from both grounded and ungrounded energies, enhancing your practice with versatility and depth. However, it’s essential to approach ungrounding with care, ensuring you maintain a sense of safety and don’t become too unmoored from the present reality. You want to have a plan to maintain balance, not manage high-level energy exertion. As with all magical practices, listen to your intuition and find the harmony that resonates best with your unique journey.
Grounding your energy is a critical part of the modern witch’s journey, offering stability and protection while enhancing magickal workings. Bring on the practices that align with your values, such as spending time in nature, carrying crystals, using rituals, engaging in physical activities, and setting healthy energetic boundaries. Trust in your ability to stay grounded and honor the journey you are on as you weave magick into your life.
As always, let your intuition guide you in finding the harmony that resonates best for you, your practice, and your life. Until next time xox
What is secular witchcraft? It is a form of witchcraft that does not draw upon any religious beliefs.
What is divination witchcraft? Who is a divination witch? As a form of witchcraft that has been respected for centuries, read in full here.
A protective circle is a sacred space that you can create, in which all of your spells and rituals will take place to create a protected magickal space for your ritual work.
Here I share with you multiple different methods of divination that you may find deepen your understanding of self and community.