Friendship Tarot Spread: 10 + Friendship Situations For The Cards and Witchy Tips
Last Updated: September 18, 2023
In our world of tarot and oracle readings, we turn to them for guidance and empowerment across all topics, from our businesses to love and even to friendship. There should be zero shame attached to this, but sometimes witches can feel a little uncomfortable pulling cards about a person who we are unable to communicate with at that moment.
First of all, give yourself a break. Secondly, you deserve to air your thoughts in a safer setting that doesn’t impact anything in real-time. And third, it’s ok to want to have answers to anything that bothers you.
I wanted to explore the themes of friendship and tarot with you, and guide you through a couple of tarot spreads for friendship. The cards you draw will give you a broad overview of how your relationships are going at that time. You can also use it for specific questions about one friend or even about finding new friendships in general – all depending on the questions you ask before you start. I’ve kept the majority of these tarot spreads on friendship five cards or less, so you can use the free online tarot reading below too.
When Is The Best Time For A Friendship Tarot Reading?
There is no perfect time to read divination, and that means anything goes – as soon as you feel the pull for reading, then it’s usually time to get in touch with your intuition (or deities, spirits, guides or higher powers – whichever you use in your craft).
You could work with, however, the moon phases to perform a friendship tarot reading. The New Moon, it’s an ideal time for new beginnings and starting fresh – exactly when you want to shine light into any darkness in your relationships that need healing.
At the Full Moon, you can look at all the things you celebrate about your relationship with each other, and with the Dark Moon, you can look into ways to let things settle permanently between you.
Best Tarot Cards For Friendship
If your spread ever needs a signifier, or a card to represent a person/situation, then follow your intuition as to what card makes sense for that person. For example, if there’s a lot of conflict between you both, then using the 7 of Swords as a signifier card could make sense.
In terms of general cards for friendship, the 4 of Cups is ideal to see if there’s any stagnation in the relationship that needs addressing, or if one person needs some personal growth and reflection in order to move things forward. You can also use the Strength card to get a clearer view of where you are both at as friends and how that relationship is running.
Cards generally representing friendship would include 3 of cups, the Sun and the Star. Each of these cards comes with its own message about where your relationship is at and will be a great addition to any tarot spread exploring friendship.
How To Prepare For A Friendship Tarot Reading?
The best way to ensure that you have a successful tarot reading for friendships is to be prepared and honest with yourself. Take a moment beforehand to think about what you need answers for, and frame your questions in the absolutes (yes/no questions will not usually work as well).
For example, if you want to know what can help your friendship grow, ask “What are some ways I can help my friendship with ____ grow?” Speak your intention out loud and ask the universe to guide you.
Once you have framed your questions, take a few deep breaths, light some incense or candles if that’s your thing and maybe state an affirmation such as “I seek clear, honest answers during this reading”.
Friendship Conflict; Arguing, Fighting and Letting Go Tarot Spreads
Harmony and Conflict Tarot Spread:
- Card 1: Harmonious Aspects of Your Friendship
- Card 2: Current Conflict or Tension
- Card 3: Root Cause of the Conflict
- Card 4: How to Address the Issue
- Card 5: Potential Resolution and Healing
Boundaries and Balance Spread:
- Card 1: Current State of Boundaries in the Friendship
- Card 2: Where Boundaries Need Adjustment
- Card 3: Maintaining Individual Needs and Balance
- Card 4: Healthy Ways to Respect Boundaries
- Card 5: Strengthened Friendship through Mutual Respect
Understanding Differences Spread:
- Card 1: Unique Qualities You Each Bring
- Card 2: Areas of Potential Misunderstanding
- Card 3: How to Embrace and Learn from Differences
- Card 4: Shared Values that Bridge the Gap
- Card 5: Nurturing Friendship Despite Disparities
Always Fighting Spread:
- Card 1: What You Need to Let Go of
- Card 2: How To Restore Balance For The Best Outcome
- Card 3: What You Both Can Compromise On
- Card 4: How To Maintain Respect for Each Other
- Card 5: Self-Care Strategies To Recharge and Reconnect
Is It Time To Let Go Of This Friendship Tarot Spread?
- Card 1: What is the Strength of this Friendship
- Card 2: How Can This Friendship Grow?
- Card 3: What Challenges Are We Facing?
- Card 4: Is It Time To Let Go?
- Card 5: What Is The Best Next Step For Me Going Forward?
Witchy Tips To Aid In Friendship Stress
Harnessing magickal energy can offer solace and guidance when navigating the stormy seas of friendship conflicts. Begin by creating a tranquil space for yourself, adorned with calming crystals like amethyst and rose quartz, which can promote healing and self-love. Engage in grounding practices such as deep breathing or meditation to centre your thoughts and emotions. Consider crafting a stress-relief spell jar, filling it with lavender for peace, chamomile for soothing, and clear quartz to amplify intentions. Lighting a white or blue candle while visualizing the resolution of the conflict can symbolize clarity and open communication.
Tarot cards serve as mirrors to our emotions and pathways toward understanding. Draw cards that reflect your feelings, your friend’s perspective, and potential resolutions. Embrace the power of affirmations; inscribe a statement of reconciliation on a bay leaf and burn it with intention, releasing your desires to the universe. Our magick encourages both inner reflection and action, urging us to find the balance between accepting our emotions and taking steps toward some kind of harmony.
Small Cord Cutting Ritual For Letting The Friendship Go
- A quiet and peaceful space
- A white candle (for purity and healing)
- A piece of cord or string (representing the energetic connection with the friend)
- Scissors or a sharp object
Find a comfortable and serene spot where you can focus without distractions. Light the white candle, symbolizing purity, healing, and the positive energies that will guide you through this process.
- Center Yourself:
Take a few deep breaths, inhaling positivity and exhaling any residual emotions related to the friendship loss. Feel the warmth of the candle’s light enveloping you in a protective embrace.
- Visualize the Energetic Connection:
Hold the piece of cord or string in both your hands, and close your eyes. Visualize the energetic cord that once connected you to your friend. This cord represents the relationship and any residual emotions that may be holding you back from moving on.
- Express Gratitude:
Take a moment to reflect on the positive aspects of the friendship you shared. Acknowledge the lessons learned and the joy you experienced during your time together. Express gratitude for those moments.
- Affirm Your Intent:
With a calm and steady voice, say aloud or in your mind: “I release this energetic connection with love and understanding. I honor the lessons learned, and I give myself permission to move forward, embracing healing and growth.”
- Cutting the Cord:
Holding the cord, imagine a gentle and loving light surrounding it. Feel the support of the universe as you use the scissors or sharp object to carefully cut the cord – (if you can safely use the candle flame to do this, then do so, just don’t forgo fire safety for magickal purposes hun). As you do this, visualize the connection being severed, knowing that this is a necessary step to create space for new experiences and growth.
- Release and Let Go:
As the cord is cut, hold both ends of it in your hands, and imagine any residual emotions or attachments flowing out of you and into the cord. Feel a sense of relief and liberation as you release these energies.
- Symbolic Action:
Safely burn one end of the cord, allowing the smoke to rise, carrying away any remaining negative energies. Dispose of the other end in a way that feels respectful and appropriate to you, such as burying it in the earth or placing it in a moving body of water.
- Closing The Ritual:
Thank the universe, your higher self, or any deities or spirits you believe in for their support during this ritual. Blow out the candle, knowing that its healing energy will continue to surround you.
- Self-Care and Healing:
In the days following the ritual, be gentle with yourself. Engage in self-care activities, seek support from loved ones, and take steps to nourish your well-being. Allow yourself to fully experience the healing process, knowing that you’ve created space for new friendships and positive experiences in your life.
New Friendships: Attracting New Friends, Working Out Intentions and Friendship Audit Tarot Spreads
Kindred Spirits Spread:
- Card 1: Your Current Energy
- Card 2: Qualities You Seek in a Friend
- Card 3: What You Can Offer in a Friendship
- Card 4: Potential Obstacles to Overcome
- Card 5: Guidance for Nurturing Friendships
New Friend Discovery Spread:
- Card 1: Energies Surrounding New Friendships
- Card 2: Traits of a New Friend to Look For
- Card 3: Where You Might Meet New Friends
- Card 4: How to Approach New Connections
- Card 5: Outcome of Embracing New Friendships
Am I A Good Friend Spread:
- Card 1: Traits That Let Me Down As A Friend
- Card 2: Where Can I Be A Better Friend Right Now
- Card 3: How Can I Maintain Healthy Friendships
- Card 4: Qualities I Offer In Healthy Friendships
- Card 5: Ways I Support & Empower Current Friendships
Spell Jar For New Friendships
Friendship Blossom Spell Jar
- A small glass jar with a lid
- Pink or green candle
- Dried rose petals or lavender flowers
- Clear quartz crystal
- Bay leaf
- Small piece of paper and a pen
- Pink or green ribbon
- Begin by setting your intention for attracting new and genuine friendships into your life. Take a few deep breaths to center yourself and focus your energy on your desired outcome.
- Light the pink or green candle as a symbol of love, friendship, and new beginnings. Allow the candle to burn while you work on the spell jar.
- Write down on the piece of paper qualities and attributes you’re seeking in new friends. Be specific and heartfelt in your descriptions.
- Place the dried rose petals or lavender flowers into the bottom of the glass jar. These flowers represent love, harmony, and the blossoming of new connections.
- Hold the clear quartz crystal in your hand and visualize yourself surrounded by warm, welcoming energies of friendship. Imagine forming connections with kindred spirits who uplift and support you.
- Place the crystal into the jar on top of the dried flowers. This crystal will amplify your intention and attract positive energies.
- Take the piece of paper with your desired qualities written on it and fold it neatly. Place it into the jar.
- Write the word “Friendship” or a short affirmation related to attracting new friends on the bay leaf. (Maybe like “I am deserving of genuine friendship and love”) Place this inside the jar.
- Keep your Friendship Blossom Spell Jar somewhere safe, knowing that each
- Light the bay leaf with the flame of the candle and let it burn safely over a fireproof dish. As it burns, visualize your intention becoming reality.
- Once the bay leaf has burned out, carefully place the ashes into the jar.
- Seal the jar with the lid, infusing it with your intention and energy.
- Take the pink or green ribbon and tie it around the jar in a simple bow, symbolizing the connection you’re creating with your future friends.
- Thank the energies, elements, and any deities or spirits you work with for their assistance. I always love to give thanks to the universe for “lending it’s direction” my way.
- Extinguish the candle and keep the jar in a place where it won’t be disturbed. You can also carry it with you as a personal talisman.
Generally, the power of this spell comes from your intention, focus, and belief. Keep an open heart and mind when it comes to meeting new people, and be open to the opportunities that come your way as you work with this spell jar in your magickal every day.
General Friendship Tarot Spreads
Friendship Crossroads Spread:
- Card 1: The Current State of Your Friendship
- Card 2: What’s Strengthening the Bond
- Card 3: What’s Challenging the Connection
- Card 4: How to Navigate Challenges
- Card 5: Potential Outcome of Your Choices
Deepening Connection Spread:
- Card 1: Current Depth of Your Friendship
- Card 2: What Each of You Brings to the Bond
- Card 3: Areas for Deeper Understanding
- Card 4: Shared Goals and Aspirations
- Card 5: Steps to Cultivate Deeper Connection
Friendship Renewal Spread:
- Card 1: Reasons for Current Distance
- Card 2: What Each of You Misses About the Friendship
- Card 3: Healing Actions to Rekindle the Bond
- Card 4: How to Foster Open Communication
- Card 5: The Potential Revitalized Friendship
Supportive Friendship Spread:
- Card 1: How You Provide Support to Your Friend
- Card 2: Their Ways of Supporting You
- Card 3: Unspoken Feelings or Needs
- Card 4: How to Strengthen Mutual Support
- Card 5: A Message from Your Friend’s Heart
Long-Distance Friendship Spread:
- Card 1: Strengths of Your Long-Distance Friendship
- Card 2: Challenges Stemming from the Distance
- Card 3: Sustaining Connection from Afar
- Card 4: Creative Ways to Bridge the Gap
- Card 5: The Enrichment and Growth in Long-Distance Bonds
Questions To Ask Tarot About Friendships
If you’re looking for some general ideas about what you can ask your cards about tarot, here’s a massive list of suggestions based on research from our community on what sort of things they ask:
- What’s the current state or general overview of my friendship with ####?
- Major challenges we keep meeting?
- What problems do we just keep repeating?
- What problems do I keep repeating with friends?
- How can I be a better friend?
- What should I look for in new friendships that I currently don’t have already?
- What do I need from a friend right now?
- Why am I connecting with this new person right now?
- What are this new person’s motives?
- What type of support am I most receptive to right now?
- What am I giving away too much of in my friendships?
- How can I move on from old friendships that don’t support my future?
- How can I ask my friends to support my dreams/my future?
- Why are my friends and my partner conflicting so much?
- How can I make friendships more of a priority for me?
- Should I reconnect with this person from my past as friends?
- Why should I reconnect with this person after the distance we’ve had?
- How can I build a better community with my friendships?
- How can we make a positive impact on the environment as a group of friends?
- What do I need to learn from my current friendships?
- How can I help this friend through their difficult times?
- What type of friends should I be connecting with right now for more growth in me?
- How can I maintain a long-distance friendship successfully?
- What should I do if a friendship becomes toxic or unhealthy?
- How can I practice more self-love and respect around my friendships?
- What is the best way for me to express myself in a friendship?
- How can I become more patient, trusting, and understanding of friends?
- What have I been holding back from saying to a friend or expressing in a friendship?
Try this reconnection tarot reading for free
What to do after theses Friendship related readings
Always remember to take the time to listen and be still so that you can get their answers with clarity.
After you’ve finished a tarot reading, there are a few things you can do in order to reflect on the experience and integrate the insights you gained. Here are some suggestions:
Use a tarot journal to record your findings
Jotting down your thoughts in a tarot journal after reading can be helpful in a few ways. First, it can help you remember the details of your reading later on, such as how you felt at the moment and perhaps your first impressions of what a card meant.
Second, it can provide a space for you to process the information you’ve received and explore what it means for you. Third, it can be a way to keep track of your progress over time as you revisit your journal entries and reflect on your journey.
Take a picture of the cards
If you want to remember the position of the cards and what they meant in relation to your questions, take a picture of the spread. This will help you look back on the reading later and review the insights you received. Sometimes, clarity is better acquired after you’ve stepped back from the situation for a little while and had some time to process it.
Some people create Instagram accounts or Pinterest accounts specifically for this, and if you use any of our spreads please tag us @backyardbanshee if you feel comfortable!
Take some time to meditate and reflect
Immediately after a tarot reading, it’s important to take some time to sit with the insights you’ve received. This can be done through proper meditation, visualisation, or simply taking some time to reflect on the reading.
It can be helpful to think about what the messages from the cards mean for your life and how you can apply the advice that was given to you. That time can also be used to replenish your energy level and cleanse your tarot deck.
Get a second opinion from a close friend
If you have close friends who also happen to be tarot practitioners, it can be helpful to get their take on your reading. They may be able to offer additional insights or perspectives that you hadn’t considered before. This is also a good way to get feedback on your own interpretation of the cards.
Ensure to ask permission before just blindly sending your cards across in a message and saying “what does this mean to you?” as your friends may not have the energy or have a boundary with this sort of thing – manners cost nothing, and this is especially to note if they are a professional tarot reader who normally gets paid to interpret readings.
Do the same reading a few weeks later
This is a great way to check in on your progress and see how far you’ve come. It can also be helpful in understanding the cyclical nature of our lives and how our current situation is likely to change over time. This can be especially useful if you’re struggling with a decision or trying to figure out which path to take as to offer suggestions, provide perspective and encourage your confidence to move forward.
At the end of the day, tarot readings are meant to be a helpful tool, not a replacement for your own intuition. The best way to use tarot is to combine the insights you receive with your own understanding of the situation. Trust your gut and follow your heart—the answers you’re looking for will come.
When it comes to tarot and friendships, having an open heart and mind is so important. Asking your cards questions can help you gain more insight into the relationship and also provide a sense of clarity and understanding.
It’s important, to be honest with yourself and open to connecting with the energies of the universe when it comes to creating lasting relationships that are supportive, meaningful, and enriching.
I’m just sitting here wishing you all the best, whatever your friendship query, and I know you’ll keep magick as an important resource in your life whatever situation you are in. Until next time xox
I have been passionate about reading divination for more than 15 years. This gives me a unique perspective when it comes to creating fun, supportive and creative tarot spreads. I hope they help you find the clarity and insight you are looking for.