New Moon Tarot Spread; Every Tarot Spread You'd Need
Last Updated: August 14, 2023
The tarot can be an incredibly powerful tool for self-reflection and growth. Using the new moon as a guide, these 10+ of the best new moon tarot spreads will help you harness its power to create positive outcomes in your life. With each spread, take time to contemplate the questions and connect with your intuition.
Here is a choice of 10+ tarot spreads to smash through your New Moon rituals and witchcraft goals guidance. Use them before spellwork, afterwards, as a group or on your own – your practice is your practice, and intuitively only you can know what to do here.
What is the New Moon?
The New Moon in astrology is the time of renewal, fresh beginnings and setting intentions for the future. The New Moon has a deeply spiritual power that can be used to guide your tarot readings and provide insights into what is coming up in your life. If you have no energy for big rituals or grand gestures to the universe, checking in with yourself over the cards is a great witchy practice.
No matter your tarot experience level, these tarot spreads are designed to be accessible and easy to interpret. All you need is your trusty deck, an open heart, and a willingness for self-discovery and growth. May these spreads bring insight and clarity to your journey!
Be sure to take your time when reading the cards, as each card’s message is a piece of the puzzle – so don’t rush it! Give yourself permission to sit with the cards and meditate on their messages before moving onto the next one. These spreads were designed to help you get in touch with your intuition and use it as a guide on your path to self-discovery, but you absolutely can boss them out for yourself too with personalisations and tweaking words to sound more like you.
If you find yourself needing a little extra help, don’t worry: there are many online resources available that can help with tarot interpretation techniques and advice. You can also reach out for advice from experienced tarot readers (like me) or join an online community of tarot lovers who interact regularly and offer support when needed.
Tarot Spread #1: New Moon Manifestation Tarot Spread
This is an 8 card spread as 8’s in numerology are super lucky, and we wanna utilise that energy if we are busy manifesting and not stressing. It’s my hope here you’ll understand what’s going on, you’ll learn to trust the process a little for your journey, and you’ll come out with a greater understanding of yourself and everything around you. I would perform this reading before performing any magickal ritual, as to take the energy of support along with you as an energetic boost to attract the outcome you’re desiring.
- Card 1: Where Are You Now (in terms of goals)?
- Card 2: What Would Make You Feel Accomplished?
- Card 3: What Is Blocking You From Achieving Your Goals?
- Card 4: What Action Can You Take To Overcome The Blockages?
- Card 5: How Can You Support Yourself During This Time?
- Card 6: What Do You Need To Believe In Yourself To Achieve Your Goals?
- Card 7: How Can You Celebrate Your Achievements So Far And Motivate Yourself To Keep Going?
- Card 8: What Is The Best Outcome For This New Moon Cycle Manifestation?
Tarot Spread #2: New Moon Guidance Tarot Spread
This six-card reading is to provide you with a little guidance in life in general. It’s an aid for between this new moon and the next, as well as key support for checking in with yourself in general. Here you’re able to look at what this new moon means for you specifically, and also how it’s going to affect the rest of your journey too.
- Card 1: What Guidance Do You Need Right Now?
- Card 2: What Is Blocking You From Achieving Your Goals?
- Card 3: What Action Can You Take To Overcome The Blockages?
- Card 4: How Can You Best Support Yourself During This Time?
- Card 5: What Do You Need To Believe In Yourself To Achieve Your Goals?
- Card 6: What Is The Best Outcome For This New Moon Cycle?
Tarot Spread #3: New Moon Tarot Spread for Letting Go
Whether it’s a breakup, a friendship, a grudge, an irk, or that voice chatting shit in your brain – we need to just let it go. Let’s use the tarot and our oracle decks to aid in the process. This is a five-card spread to help you with this process of letting go and moving forward, so you can be in the most productive space – for yourself.
- Card 1: What Are The Benefits Of Letting Go?
- Card 2: How Can You Best Process The Situation?
- Card 3: Who/What Do You Need To Forgive In This Instance To Move On?
- Card 4: How Can You Take Care Of Yourself Through This Process?
- Card 5: What Is Your North Star Moving Forward?
Tarot Spread #4: New Moon Releasing Ritual Spread
This spread is for providing closure to any lingering resentments or grudges you may be holding onto. Lay out three cards in a row, with the first card representing what needs to be forgiven, the second indicating how best to forgive and lastly an indication of what you can gain from the process. This is a variation of a past/present/future spread, a format really common for any tarot reader to utilise. Sometimes the basics are that bitch, know what I mean?
- Card 1: What should I forgive at this point that I haven’t already?
- Card 2: How can I move on and leave this with love?
- Card 3: How will I know I’m moving on, what will I be absorbing into my life moving forward?
Tarot Spread #5: New Moon Intention Setting Spread
This spread is designed to give insight into which creative endeavors should be focused on for the upcoming cycle for intention work. Lay out three cards in a row, with the first card representing your current creative state, the second indicating what needs to be explored and lastly an indication of what you will achieve if all goes well. The purpose of this is to aid in clarity for any intention setting you’re sorta planning but haven’t ritualised or used in your magick yet!
- Card 1: What is my current creative state?
- Card 2: What should I explore during this cycle?
- Card 3: What may happen if I continue to focus on creative endeavours?
Tarot Spread #6: New Moon Shadow Exploration
This tarot spread is meant to help you get in touch with your shadow self so that you can draw strength from it. Lay out three cards in a row, with the first card representing what’s hiding within, the second indicating what needs to be revealed and lastly an indication of how best to integrate this part of yourself for personal growth. This spread is helpful in dealing with any repressed or subconscious feelings you may have been avoiding.
- Card 1: What is hidden within me that I need to acknowledge?
- Card 2: What do I need to reveal about myself?
- Card 3: How do I go about integrating this part of myself for personal growth?
Tarot Spread #7: New Moon Tarot Spread for Self-Discovery
Sometimes we feel a little lost. That’s ok. I don’t wanna make it such a hard time, big drama. Life happens, and we feel a little “idk why I’m here”. First off, please babe – I want you here. You wouldn’t talk to a friend like that, so let’s find you a little more “you” in the next few cards.
- Card 1: What do I need to know about myself right now?
- Card 2: What is preventing me from accepting this part of my identity?
- Card 3: How can I make peace with the parts of myself that are difficult to accept?
- Card 4: What are the first steps for growing into who I want to be?
- Card 5: What resources do I have at my disposal for this journey?
- Card 6: What is the outcome of embracing my true identity?
- Card 7: What positive things are coming my way?
- Card 8: Empower me.
Tarot Spread #8: New Moon Vision Board Tarot Spread
This is a super creative one! Pop your vision board close by to where you can pull your 7 cards around it, so that we can use the tarot to articulate how we get from where you are to where you’ll be for your vision board manifestation!
- Card 1: What do I need to focus on to get closer to my vision?
- Card 2: What steps can I take right now that will help me manifest my board?
- Card 3: Who/What do I need to let go of in order for this manifestation process?
- Card 4: How can I best tackle the challenges ahead?
- Card 5: What is the best outcome of this vision board journey?
- Card 6: What are my intentions with creating this vision board?
- Card 7: What can I do to stay on track with manifesting my goals?
Tarot Spread #9: New Moon Relationship Tarot Spread
This spread is designed to provide insight into any existing or potential relationships that may be explored during the upcoming cycle. Lay out five cards in a row, with the first card representing what needs to be addressed, the second indicating how best to approach it third card to clarify any miscommunications or things that have been left unsaid. The fourth card indicates what needs to be let go and the fifth provides an indication of what you can achieve by doing so or like of what outcome can be expected if handled properly. This spread can help bring clarity to any situations
- Card 1: What needs to be addressed in this relationship?
- Card 2: How should I approach it?
- Card 3: What have I misread?
- Card 4: What needs to go and be left behind?
- Card 5: What can I gain out of this situation?
Tarot Spread #10: New Moon Life Changes Tarot Spread
This small spread is to provide clarity if you’re facing some major life changes, and want to use the energy of this cycle to your advantage. This spread can provide much-needed clarity during times of transition.
- Card 1: What should I focus on?
- Card 2: How can I best use this time?
- Card 3: What do I need to let go of?
- Card 4: What is the biggest challenge to face?
- Card 5: What outcome or result am I working towards?
Tarot Spread #11: New Moon Opportunity Tarot Spread
To begin, shuffle your deck and draw a card for each position as shown in the layout below
Finally, take some time to reflect on the questions that each card position represents and what message the tarot cards in that position might be trying to tell you.
This spread will help you reflect on what is ready to be released in order to make space for new beginnings and opportunities.
- Card 1: What do I need to release from my life?
- Card 2: What energy should I invite into my life?
- Card 3: What energy has me in it’s sights?
- Card 4: How can I let this energy flow to me seamlessly and without fight?
- Card 5: What can I do to help this energy manifest tangibly in my life?
Try this New Moon Opportunities tarot reading for free
What to do after this New Moon tarot reading
Always remember to take the time to listen and be still so that you can get their answers with clarity.
After you’ve finished a tarot reading, there are a few things you can do in order to reflect on the experience and integrate the insights you gained. Here are some suggestions:
Use a tarot journal to record your findings
Jotting down your thoughts in a tarot journal after reading can be helpful in a few ways. First, it can help you remember the details of your reading later on, such as how you felt at the moment and perhaps your first impressions of what a card meant.
Second, it can provide a space for you to process the information you’ve received and explore what it means for you. Third, it can be a way to keep track of your progress over time as you revisit your journal entries and reflect on your journey.
Take a picture of the cards
If you want to remember the position of the cards and what they meant in relation to your questions, take a picture of the spread. This will help you look back on the reading later and review the insights you received. Sometimes, clarity is better acquired after you’ve stepped back from the situation for a little while and had some time to process it.
Some people create Instagram accounts or Pinterest accounts specifically for this, and if you use any of our spreads please tag us @backyardbanshee if you feel comfortable!
Take some time to meditate and reflect
Immediately after a tarot reading, it’s important to take some time to sit with the insights you’ve received. This can be done through proper meditation, visualisation, or simply taking some time to reflect on the reading.
It can be helpful to think about what the messages from the cards mean for your life and how you can apply the advice that was given to you. That time can also be used to replenish your energy level and cleanse your tarot deck.
Get a second opinion from a close friend
If you have close friends who also happen to be tarot practitioners, it can be helpful to get their take on your reading. They may be able to offer additional insights or perspectives that you hadn’t considered before. This is also a good way to get feedback on your own interpretation of the cards.
Ensure to ask permission before just blindly sending your cards across in a message and saying “what does this mean to you?” as your friends may not have the energy or have a boundary with this sort of thing – manners cost nothing, and this is especially to note if they are a professional tarot reader who normally gets paid to interpret readings.
Do the same reading a few days later
This is a great way to check in on your progress and see how far you’ve come. It can also be helpful in understanding the cyclical nature of our lives and how our current situation is likely to change over time. This can be especially useful if you’re struggling with a decision or trying to figure out which path to take as to offer suggestions, provide perspective and encourage your confidence to move forward.
At the end of the day, tarot readings are meant to be a helpful tool, not a replacement for your own intuition. The best way to use tarot is to combine the insights you receive with your own understanding of the situation. Trust your gut and follow your heart—the answers you’re looking for will come.
It is my hope that these tarot spreads on my website help you with clarity and articulate whatever is going on. Let me know what you think of this tarot spread in the comments below and if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me.