A Crown Calling: Recognizing the Signs Persephone Is Calling You
Last Updated: September 21, 2023
The seasonal Greek Goddess, Queen of the Underworld, and main counterpart to the Eleusinian Mysteries, Persephone and her story have a hold over many people across the world. But we know that there are witches, heathens and pagans out here who work with her mysteries all year round.
The Persephone myth is an integral part of the Wheel of the Year, as it relates to the changing of seasons and death and rebirth, which are important concepts for witches and pagans alike. Working with her mysteries can help us create balance in our lives, understand our own cycles, and learn from them. With her guidance on this, as well as her assertive nature and fight for equity in power, she makes a fantastic deity to call on when facing difficult situations.
For this piece, we are looking into the different ways that Persephone has reached out to her devotees and witches she calls in as companions, as well as the ways she has interacted with her followers through various rituals and offerings. We will look at how Persephone is seen in mythology, what her role is, and also explore the different ways in which people have kept her memory alive.
I previously wrote about her for our Persephone Tarot Spread and ways to connect too. Here are the signs I’ve come across over social media, books and personal descriptions of people’s deity devotional practice associated with this goddess is reaching out.
A Colder Realm; Persephone Reaching Out Through Dreams
If Persephone were trying to reach out to you in a dream, there are several symbols and signs that might be associated with her:
- Pomegranate: The pomegranate is strongly linked to Persephone as it represents her time spent in the underworld. In your dream, you may encounter pomegranates or their seeds, which could symbolize a connection to Persephone and her realm.
- Flowers: Persephone is associated with flowers, particularly narcissus, daffodils, and poppies. If you see these flowers in your dream, it could be a sign of Persephone’s presence or influence. Withering mint in a dream could also be a symbol of Persephone too.
- Darkness and light: Persephone’s story involves her descent into the darkness of the underworld and her return to the world of the living, representing the cycle of death and rebirth. Dreams with contrasting themes of darkness and light may allude to her presence and the transformative nature of her myth.
- Sharing A Baby or Co-Parenting Unwillingly: Persephone, whilst never explicitly giving birth, became a mother in a metaphorical sense to Adonis – an infant then youth – when she shared custody with Aphrodite. Adonis however was given the choice as to who he would prefer to stay with permanently, unlike Persephone in the case of her kidnapping and mother. In dreams, this could manifest as being in charge of a baby suddenly, co-parenting a new child or having your baby taken away from you.
- Seasons: As the goddess of the seasons, Persephone’s realm is tied to the cycle of nature. Dreaming of changing seasons or natural landscapes shifting from barrenness to bloom could be indicative of Persephone’s influence.
- Hades: Persephone is married to Hades, the ruler of the underworld, and lives in the House of Hades. If you encounter Hades or references to the underworld in your dream, it could signify Persephone’s presence, as they are often connected in mythology.
- Feminine power and independence: Persephone’s story is one of personal growth and empowerment. If you dream of strong, independent women or themes related to feminine strength, it could reflect Persephone’s influence.
Dream interpretation is subjective however and highly personal. The symbols and signs you experience in a dream can have different meanings for different individuals, so it’s crucial to trust your own instincts and intuition when interpreting these messages.
Kore, Proserpina, Persephone; What Synchronicities Repeat With Persephone
We find instances of Persephone written as Kore or as Proserpina. All of these aspects are still her, acting as one or the other depending on which part of the story is being focused on. If these stories and histories keep appearing for you, then as a synchronicity it may mean you are being drawn to learn more about her and that she is reaching out.
If Persephone were reaching out to you through synchronicities, there could be various signs and symbols that may repeat or manifest in your life. Here are some examples:
- Pomegranates: Pomegranates are strongly associated with Persephone, and finding them or images of them repeatedly in daily life could be a synchronicity pointing to her presence.
- Rebirth and transformation: Synchronicities related to themes of personal growth, rebirth, or transformation may occur. Her name literally translates as “endings”. This could include encountering dark butterfly symbolism, witnessing the blooming of flowers, or experiencing a sense of renewal in different aspects of life.
- Dream messages: Persephone may choose to communicate through dreams, so recurring dreams or symbols that relate to her, such as visiting the underworld or encountering mythological figures like Hades, could indicate her influence.
- Seasonal shifts: As the goddess of the seasons, synchronicities connected to the changing seasons may occur. For example, you might notice distinct shifts in weather patterns or find yourself drawn to activities and events that align with specific seasons.
- Feminine empowerment: Persephone’s story involves her own journey of empowerment and finding her voice. Synchronicities related to embracing femininity, standing up for oneself, or encountering strong female figures in your life could be signs of Persephone’s presence. It can especially be relevant if it is stories of women who have been captured or kidnapped that keep appearing.
- Nature and the underworld: Synchronicities involving nature and the symbolism of the underworld might occur. This could include encounters with animals associated with the underworld (e.g., snakes or black bats), or finding yourself drawn to landscapes that evoke a sense of mystery and depth.
- Tarot cards or divination: The Queen of Swords tarot card repeatedly appearing in readings could be a significant synchronicity. It represents a powerful, independent, and perceptive female figure, aligning with Persephone’s attributes.
When it comes to any synchronicities in your life, pay attention and reflect on their personal meaning to you. Each individual’s experience may vary, so it’s essential to trust your intuition and use these signs as a guide only for your own spiritual journey and not a definitive answer.
Pomegranate Seeds; What Symbols Are Associated With Persephone
Various symbols are associated with her due to the different aspects of her story, which we talk about in depth on the Persephone Tarot Spread page, and her roles as the queen of the underworld and the bringer of spring. Here are some symbols commonly associated with Persephone and their meanings:
- Pomegranate: The pomegranate is one of the most well-known symbols associated with Persephone, and the number one thing I’ll flag up every time. It represents her time spent in the underworld after she ate the seeds, which bound her to Hades. It signifies the cycle of death and rebirth and the connection between the living and the dead. Maybe you’re seeing it on packaging, in recipes, and even in stories you’ve been drawn to reading
- Narcissus flowers: Narcissus flowers, particularly daffodils, are associated with Persephone due to their connection to the myth of her abduction. According to the myth, Persephone was picking narcissus flowers when Hades abducted her. These flowers symbolize new beginnings, rebirth, and the arrival of spring.
- Torches: Torches are often depicted in representations of Persephone, especially with her companion Hekate – symbolizing her role as the torchbearer who guides souls to and from the underworld, and was essential in the Eleusinian mysteries which to this day involve secrecy and lamps. Torches represent illumination, light in the darkness, and the transition between realms.
- Iron: Iron is associated with Persephone because it is believed to be found in the underworld, which she rules alongside Hades. Odysseus called her the Iron Queen. Iron represents the strength, power, and connection to the underworld.
- Black and Red roses: Black roses are sometimes associated with Persephone, representing her association with the darkness and the underworld. They symbolize mystery, transformation, and the hidden aspects of life.
- Winter and ice: Persephone’s abduction by Hades and her subsequent return to the world above ground is connected to the changing seasons. Winter and ice symbolize her time in the underworld and the barrenness of the earth during her absence.
- Crown and veil: As the queen of the underworld, Persephone is often depicted wearing a crown and a veil, symbolizing her royal status and her role as the mediator between the realms of the living and the dead.
These symbols have been associated with Kore/Persephone/Proserpina due to their connection to her mythological stories and her dual nature as a goddess of the underworld and the bringer of spring. They generally represent themes of transformation, rebirth, darkness, and the cycles of life and death – other symbolism may appear that we haven’t documented here, and it is important to explore what these might mean for you.
Icy Breath On Your Neck; What Physical Sensations Are Associated With Persephone
When Persephone is reaching out to an individual, there may be various physical sensations associated with her presence. These sensations can vary from person to person, but here are some examples that have been reported by individuals who believe they have experienced her presence:
- Chills or shivers: Some people have described feeling a sudden chill or shiver running down their spine or throughout their body when Persephone is near. This sensation can be interpreted as a sign of her presence or energy.
- Warmth or heat: Conversely, others have reported feeling a warm or comforting sensation when they perceive Persephone’s presence. It can be a gentle warmth or a feeling of being enveloped in a comforting energy. This doesn’t seem to feel like a Mother energy it is noted, but more of a welcome comforted energy between people who have a lot of love and respect for each other.
- Tingling or electric sensations: Some individuals have described feeling tingling or electric sensations on their skin or in specific parts of their body when Persephone is reaching out. It can be similar to the feeling of goosebumps or a subtle, energetic vibration.
- Sense of weight or pressure: A few people have reported feeling a gentle pressure or a sense of weight, as if someone is lightly pressing on them or embracing them. This can occur on the shoulders, chest, or other areas of the body. This seems to be more common for folks around the New Moon, Samhain and Winter Solstice.
- Lightness or floating sensation: On the opposite end of the spectrum, some individuals have described feeling a sense of lightness or a floating sensation as if their physical body is less grounded. This can be interpreted as a sign of Persephone’s ethereal presence. This is more common for Spring and when snow has fallen.
- Enhanced sensory perception: When Persephone is reaching out, some individuals may notice a heightened sensitivity to their surroundings. Colours may appear more vivid, sounds may be more distinct, or fragrances may become more pronounced. It’s as if their senses are amplified.
All physical sensations are subjective experiences, and their interpretation may depend on your personal beliefs and connection to Persephone. If you believe you are experiencing her presence, trust your intuition and pay attention to the overall context and feelings associated with these sensations. Note that none of these physical sensations relate to harm, and if you feel pain during any of this then it is absolutely important to see a medical professional as it may not be related to Persephone at all.
Traits That Persephone Favours In Devotees & Companions
Based on her mythological characteristics and associations, we can derive some potential qualities that might be appreciated by those who seek a connection with her:
- Resilience: Persephone’s story involves undergoing a significant transformation and adapting to both the realms of the living and the dead. She may appreciate devotees who demonstrate resilience, the ability to overcome challenges, and the willingness to embrace personal growth and change.
- Empathy and compassion: From being under the overbearing mother, to Persephone’s abduction by Hades and her subsequent rule over the underworld – it might instill in her a deep understanding of suffering and the human experience. Demonstrating empathy and compassion towards others could resonate with her and align with her own nature.
- Love for nature and the cycles of life: As the goddess of spring and the seasons, Persephone is intimately connected to the natural world and its cycles. A love for nature, a reverence for the changing seasons, and an appreciation for the beauty and power of the earth are qualities that she finds appealing in her devotees.
- Balance and harmony: Persephone’s dual role as the queen of the underworld and the bringer of spring reflects the concept of balance between light and darkness, life and death. Emphasizing balance in one’s life, seeking harmony between different aspects of existence, and striving for equilibrium might resonate with her energy.
- Inner strength and autonomy: Persephone’s journey from being a maiden to becoming a queen of the underworld speaks to her inner strength and the development of her own agency. Companions who exhibit personal strength, independence, and the willingness to embrace their own power might find a connection with her.
- Creativity and transformation: Persephone’s story involves cycles of transformation and growth. Devotees who express their creativity, embrace personal transformation and engage in activities such as art, music, writing, or ritualistic practices might foster a deeper connection with her.
These are speculative traits and preferences based on Persephone’s mythology, as it would be completely impossible to survey every individual who has worked with her in the past or in the future. Ultimately, each individual’s relationship with Persephone can be unique, and personal experiences and connections may vary. It is essential to develop your own understanding and connection with Persephone based on your own experiences and intuition, but the above may indicate you’re a better fit.
An Invitation To Work With Persephone
Generally speaking if you feel called to work with Persephone, regardless of signs or not, she is technically an open-practice goddess. This means she welcomes all to work with her, and no formal invitation is necessary. However, it is important to keep in mind that Persephone is a powerful deity and may have specific ways of working with her. It is advised to do plenty of research beforehand, take it slow, and be respectful of her wishes and boundaries.
There are many ways to incorporate Persephone into your life or spiritual practice, and it doesn’t have to be complicated or elaborate. Simple actions such as lighting a candle in her honour or taking a moment to express gratitude for the blessings you have received can be just as effective. Rituals, offerings, prayers, and other spiritual practices can also be used to deepen the connection with her energy.
However it is important for me to share that if you work with a deity, then it should be on a mutually respected basis, and not to overtake your life or prevent you from living your life the way that you wish to. You can say no at any time. Persephone is a powerful and ancient goddess, and it is important to remember to keep yourself energetically safe when working with her. It’s always best to be respectful, be clear with intentions and boundaries, and to be mindful of any advice or guidance Persephone has to offer.
Until next time xox
I love curating divination experiences for those invested in spiritual growth with secular honest vibes. I am that witch you come to for these honest, interesting and beneficial divination experiences!